The Clifton | 55m | 15s

Interesting to see a single loaded proposal, not often you see buildings, especially towers like that. But given the view is where they will make their money it makes sense as a design choice. I don't think even the highest quality can save that blank wall through. It definitely needs some horizontal elements and massing variation to break up the wall somehow. Very crude example:
View attachment 450399

It would also likely help to have a pedestrian entrance on this side, and you could use the entrance atrium in a way so that the building doesnt completely face away from the street.
The lobby entrance is on the opposite corner.

That blank wall is cladded in a wonderful stone tile from Spain. It won't be a blank stucco wall.
Pretty sure the people in properties on high street whos condos USED to be a million won’t give a shit where the stone is from lol. But, given that this building was always a possibility, I guess it’s better than looking into new neighbours?… but still kind of an asshole move to build such a monolith.

Pretty sure the people in properties on high street whos condos USED to be a million won’t give a shit where the stone is from lol. But, given that this building was always a possibility, I guess it’s better than looking into new neighbours?… but still kind of an asshole move to build such a monolith.
Well, they also should have known that Clifton Place was likely going to be redeveloped in the future and they would have been looking into a building regardless. THEY made that choice to purchase a condo. No one owns 'views'. And if they are blocked, well, then buy a condo in the new building ;)

Did this one have to go through EDC? I imagine this wall would have been critiqued heavily, due to it facing the street/public realm.

I think I can appreciate the developer's intent and come to appreciate the building for what it is. However, does anyone have any real world examples of something similar?

Really nice project. Glad this lot is getting developed and while this is clearly geared toward the very wealthy, having any quality projects downtown, big or small, makes a difference and will have an impact.

I do wonder though why Edmonton has so few luxury or newer projects built towards the valley. For example, when driving from the Walterdale bridge up 105a you see empty lots or really old apartments from 30 years ago. I know building there would present some unique geotechnical challenges but you'd think some developers would give those lots a chance.

Small market and many folks do not want to walk up and down that hill, seriously.
It is also sort of a chicken and egg thing. If more buildings were built in this area, perhaps there would be some more development of retail and commercial spaces so people could go to the coffee shop down the street and not have to walk up and down that hill.

Also, in my opinion the city made a big mistake in tearing down so many of the older houses in this area or letting them run down. The area is chock full of empty and derelict lots, which also not surprisingly does not make it appealing for development of more residential or services. Its a nice area, but it is barren and sterile.

It's a real shame how many character houses Edmonton have lost or let go on that hillside. You look at Downtown Vancouver and look at how many they have continued to maintain and what these areas might feel like or offer in terms of housing variety if they were still there.

Alas.

When it comes to derelict homes I definitely advocate the city to issue fines and even take down the house with the cost sent to the owner, but as an old character house starts to fall into decline, or even before that, what exactly is the city's role and legal options?

Are character homes lost due to the cost of housing here vs in markets like Vancouver? Do the economics just not work to rebuild an old 400k house here vs a 2.6mil house in east van is worth a 300k reno? Or are there other reasons?

Are character homes lost due to the cost of housing here vs in markets like Vancouver? Do the economics just not work to rebuild an old 400k house here vs a 2.6mil house in east van is worth a 300k reno? Or are there other reasons?
I think there are way more shitty houses in Vancouver given the price of land. What's the incentive to maintain a house when you can gain massive amounts of equity through land value appreciation alone.

There are also many more character houses that are either well kept private residences or historic homes that are protected in the Downtown proper.

Density > character homes in the core. It's nice if we can incorporate historical stuff when possible, but up is the right play, especially in this space.

As for the blank wall, I'm less offended by them when they look this good (if the end result is as shown).

Back