The Aga Khan Garden | ?m | ?s

^^It's looking great!

While not related to the Aga Khan Garden — since it doesn't seem we have a general Botanic Gardens thread — in other news, there's been rumblings that the University has conducted a feasibility study on the ground's old Arthur Erickson-designed Dyde Residence and is likely to move forward with restoring it. From what I understand, apparently the Alberta Association of Architects has exerted quite a bit of effort to save it.

For anyone unaware, the home is one of the Edmonton-area's most important pieces of Modernist architecture and was built for the original owners of the land, who subsequently donated it for the Gardens. It sits just south of the main gardens, somewhat off the beaten path, though its lawn is assessable to the public. Paula Simons wrote a good article on it a few years back, while local planning historian Erik Backstrom talked about it more recently:

I hope they take the same approach with the Soaring House (another Modernist house from the 60s), which is within the COE boundary and is much more accessible.

I hope they take the same approach with the Soaring House (another Modernist house from the 60s), which is within the COE boundary and is much more accessible.
It seems like they may have already started?

Some month old news but...

I received an RFP from a GC today RE the Diwan Pavilion construction so it is definitely ramping up.

Some month old news but...

I received an RFP from a GC today RE the Diwan Pavilion construction so it is definitely ramping up.
Are there any renders for this project?

UofA Botanical Garden expansion - we didn't really showcase it, but my, what a beautiful new addition. Opened last year.

---

Visitors to the Botanic Garden are greeted at the new Welcome Centre, a charming and elegant pavilion made of wood. It contains ticket booths, a gift shop, a concession, restrooms, and importantly, a large outdoor canopy to accommodate functions.

The biomorphic form of the Welcome Centre and its canopy was drawn from a tree, just as its material was. It's shaped like a fallen leaf, which shades and shelters the building and its visitors. Greenwall cables were installed as a passive design element, in front of the South glazing of the building. As vines grow up the cables, they will provide shade during the summer months. When the leaves die in the winter, their absence will allow more heat from the sun to enter the building. The roof was parametrically modelled, using computer scripted software, to guide all the water that falls on it into a single location on the north side of the building. In a mild rain, water will run down a rain water leader, and drip down a rain chain, and in heavier rains, the water will shoot out of the spout at the end of the rain water leader.

https://www.manascisaac.com/work/university-of-alberta-botanic-garden-welcome-centre
---

pr_f__L5A1910-Pano-Edit-Full.jpg

pr_f__L5A2358-Edit-Full.jpg

pr_f__L5A1861-Edit-Full.jpg

https://www.manascisaac.com/work/university-of-alberta-botanic-garden-welcome-centre

@IanO Okay smarty pants 😤

I submitted a gem of a piece entitled 'The Raven'.

:)

I'd love to see the amazing modernist house on this property renovated as a new destination tea/wine house and its 'yard' another new garden. I had the pleasure of doing a retreat there once and it needs some (a lot) of love, but is a gem of a place and could be SO much more.

Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 8.23.14 AM.png

On my bucket list to visit this summer, it looks amazing!

Just outside of Edmonton, the striking Diwan Pavilion is a feat of Islamic architecture.
The sweeping $5.5-million structure stands out, even in a garden modelled after paradise

Kelsey Rolfe
June 22, 2023
1687540954741.png

When lit up at night, the Diwan looks like a lantern. (Photography by Michael Manchakowski.)

Back