Strathcona Hotel Restoration | ?m | 3s | Beljan Development | Hodgson Schilf Evans

What do you think of this project?

• I dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Last edited:
I remember the 70 cent draff days. I was recently telling my 85-year-old neighbour about Srath's renovations. He laughed and said, "70 cents, you could have filled the whole darn table with beers back in my day for that!"
I was only there a couple of times, for the ambience! It had a bit of a hipster following at times due to its grit. I can't wait to check it out this fall!

Reference ID: Job No 368930340-002
Description: Alteration of (an) existing building(s), Interior Alteration
Plan I Blk 68 Lots 1-2
Applicant: INTERICS DESIGN INC.
Create Date: 7/28/2020 11:24:32 AM
Neighbourhood: STRATHCONA

Makes you wonder what else is buried along Whyte Ave or Jasper Ave (note, not bodies but old entrances). ;)

This is getting slightly off topic, but there are probably some really cool old basement vaults floating around somewhere downtown. Back in the early 20th-Century the basements of bigger buildings usually extended past the property line and continued underneath the City-owned sidewalks. It allowed for both more storage space and for them to be lit naturally through prism glass embedded into the walkways. If you've ever explored around Vancouver's Downtown East Side they're a pretty familiar sight.

They went out of vogue by the Depression and most of Edmonton’s prisms were torn out by the seventies, with the extending portions of the basements often walled-up and filled in with sand or gravel. I do know for a fact that the oldest commercial position of Jasper, between about 96th and 100th, was dominated by the things as evidenced by the amount of sidewalk glass visible in archive photos. While most of the lots along that portion were subsequently redeveloped, there may be some of the walled-in portions lying under the sidewalks. Or in areas that were once home to massive buildings that were demolished but never redeveloped, like the parking lot just west of the Convention Centre.

Apparently the McLeod Building’s basement, though walled in, persisted around until the ‘90s when it was completely removed, and there are rumours that the Gibson Block’s basement may still extend under the sidewalk. I’m sure some others along East Jasper, like the Goodridge Block, may have had them too.

This is getting slightly off topic, but there are probably some really cool old basement vaults floating around somewhere downtown. Back in the early 20th-Century the basements of bigger buildings usually extended past the property line and continued underneath the City-owned sidewalks. It allowed for both more storage space and for them to be lit naturally through prism glass embedded into the walkways. If you've ever explored around Vancouver's Downtown East Side they're a pretty familiar sight.

They went out of vogue by the Depression and most of Edmonton’s prisms were torn out by the seventies, with the extending portions of the basements often walled-up and filled in with sand or gravel. I do know for a fact that the oldest commercial position of Jasper, between about 96th and 100th, was dominated by the things as evidenced by the amount of sidewalk glass visible in archive photos. While most of the lots along that portion were subsequently redeveloped, there may be some of the walled-in portions lying under the sidewalks. Or in areas that were once home to massive buildings that were demolished but never redeveloped, like the parking lot just west of the Convention Centre.

Apparently the McLeod Building’s basement, though walled in, persisted around until the ‘90s when it was completely removed, and there are rumours that the Gibson Block’s basement may still extend under the sidewalk. I’m sure some others along East Jasper, like the Goodridge Block, may have had them too.
The currently abandoned building at 10344 Jasper Ave (where the wedge was/is proposed) is an example of this. The lower level still extends under the sidewalk at Jasper ave.

Also, the original surveyor may have had a drink or two he staked out that block of Jasper Ave, as a bunch of those buildings are built way off the property line. Makes it a nightmare for any infill redevelopment.

Description: To continue the Use of a Bar and Neighbourhood Pub, to reduce the public space from 183.39m2 to 142m2, to extend it into the basement (storage and keg cooler), and to construct interior alterations.
Permit date: September 22, 2020
Type: Development Permit
Subtype: Major Development Permit
Category: N/A
Class: Class A
Address: 10302 - 82 AVENUE NW
Neighbourhood: STRATHCONA
Zoning: DC1

Back