Stationlands Residential Towers | 90m | 25s | Qualico | DIALOG

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Description: To construct an Multi-unit Housing building (485 Dwellings) in the form of a podium with 2 Towers. The Development includes General Retail Store Uses on the main floor, a 3rd floor Indoor Participant Recreation Service Use, expansion of the existing underground parkade, and a pedway connection to the existing EPCOR Tower.
Permit date: December 15, 2020
Type: Development Permit
Subtype: Major Development Permit
Category: N/A
Class: Class B
Address: 10423 - 101 STREET NW
Neighbourhood: DOWNTOWN
Zoning: CCA

Very exciting to see this! We really need more people living in the core. Where does it go from here? Can the developers start construction, or are there more administrative hoops to jump through?

@CplKlinger I think they would just need to secure building permits and get started whenever they feel comfortable timing the market. I imagine that they already have a GC and team selected if they're this far along, but can't be sure.

I tried a couple of times to reach out to folks at Qualico a while back, but never received any response, so I doubt I'd be able to glean any more details even if I had the time and effort to try again.

I have to say I really appreciate the flexibility built into the CCA zone that allowed Qualico to pivot plans as the market and other factors have changed over the years, without needing to seek rezoning. I imagine Qualico really appreciates that as well.

Based on my involvement in the upcoming Zoning Bylaw Renewal (itself based on the new City Plan), expect that a lot of the city's zones will have a lot more flexibility built in in the future.

I have to say I really appreciate the flexibility built into the CCA zone that allowed Qualico to pivot plans as the market and other factors have changed over the years, without needing to seek rezoning. I imagine Qualico really appreciates that as well.

Based on my involvement in the upcoming Zoning Bylaw Renewal (itself based on the new City Plan), expect that a lot of the city's zones will have a lot more flexibility built in in the future.
the city was NOT very happy when we applied to rezone it from pu to cca. there was considerable pressure to do a dc1 based on the conceptual plans we had at the time (which to be fair the city was supportive of). we simply said we either got "outright zoning" for a comprehensive development that could take 20 plus years to complete that would allow us to respond to changing market demands and criteria over the life of the project or we weren't interested in proceeding with the project.

@CplKlinger I think they would just need to secure building permits and get started whenever they feel comfortable timing the market. I imagine that they already have a GC and team selected if they're this far along, but can't be sure.
That makes sense. Hopefully it starts off soonish; with major stores leaving downtown and people complaining about safety, it would be amazing to have hundreds of more people living down there.

That makes sense. Hopefully it starts off soonish; with major stores leaving downtown and people complaining about safety, it would be amazing to have hundreds of more people living down there.
that was just one of the underlying and most attractive components of the galleria project, not the opera house as a stand alone element. it's too bad not enough people every took to the time to understand that - if the downtown arena has turned out to be a solid 6 for downtown growth, the galleria would have been a solid 9..

that was just one of the underlying and most attractive components of the galleria project, not the opera house as a stand alone element. it's too bad not enough people every took to the time to understand that - if the downtown arena has turned out to be a solid 6 for downtown growth, the galleria would have been a solid 9..
What was the Galleria vs the Opera house thing? I feel like I remember hearing about some development that would include the UofA school of business? is that related?

^^

Edmonton Galleria – Building an Arts Legacy

kBdaSbBE-jyt9cZp-Z4DH81TQjZYqvkfAbWdT8QqLYq3G7lOvOLUFKopOrDvxUsU6atbMWazbfeTH8dg5OiTkbOZ4axDiCtZz1ZkVAfVFeh0ZPgDSHo0XbYbKXfQ6SdYAi60vUDfRF919gRXnFz10q4bP05HfT7hQiKkCU5V8tXFQmZ9Yt6JY94rpUoJ0WBvKKTqOnTcA_FF

Back