Stantec Tower | 250.84m | 66s | ICE District Prop.

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
What ever happened to Stantec's permit application for digital advertising at the top of the tower? Is this what people are referring to when they mention "fin lights"?

Stantec Ad.jpg

Last edited:
I imagine they didn't need to 'butter up the public' as the majority of the public likely don't care about advertising/signage on buildings downtown where there is already an abundance of lighting and signage.

I imagine they didn't need to 'butter up the public' as the majority of the public likely don't care about advertising/signage on buildings downtown where there is already an abundance of lighting and signage.
Sorry for changing my comment so much before you replied, I went back further and realized that the permit was submitted a few days before the article was written, so I didn't look back far enough. Still, it rubbed me the wrong way that the renderings were being pointed to as an example of how it could beautify the downtown, when it seemed (to me at least) like it'd give Edmonton a 250M billboard. Sure, most folks might not have troubles with the ads, and I'm not judging them for it. I'd personally just rather have a darker skyline instead of having the ads most nights, interrupted by a few light shows or special displays.

Sorry for changing my comment so much before you replied, I went back further and realized that the permit was submitted a few days before the article was written, so I didn't look back far enough. Still, it rubbed me the wrong way that the renderings were being pointed to as an example of how it could beautify the downtown, when it seemed (to me at least) like it'd give Edmonton a 250M billboard. Sure, most folks might not have troubles with the ads, and I'm not judging them for it. I'd personally just rather have a darker skyline instead of having the ads most nights, interrupted by a few light shows or special displays.
I'd be down for billboards and ads, if we went all-in with the "Times Squarization" of the Ice District Plaza.

I'd be down for billboards and ads, if we went all-in with the "Times Squarization" of the Ice District Plaza.
I'd be more open to that if it were something that people experienced in the ice district. I just don't want the ads to become as part of the broader skyline for the city as the buildings themselves. When I think of the pictures of the skyline, or the view of the city I get driving in on a highway from out of town, I just don't like the thought of a Rogers or McDonald's ad beaming back at me.

No worries. My point wasn't really about the lighting, but rather, whether it was your opinion or public opinion. We are definitely all entitled to our own opinions here, and we should express them (often!), but that doesn't necessarily equate to public opinion. Similar to when people make an argument with anecdotal evidence.

No worries. My point wasn't really about the lighting, but rather, whether it was your opinion or public opinion. We are definitely all entitled to our own opinions here, and we should express them (often!), but that doesn't necessarily equate to public opinion. Similar to when people make an argument with anecdotal evidence.
That's totally fair, I guess I just wish that the ads had been given more attention than the 'special' displays. I completely understand where you're coming from though :)

Back