Stantec Tower | 250.84m | 66s | ICE District Prop.

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Which is the same in Toronto or MTL or Vancouver or Calgary.

Although, I had more than a few trades live in my building over the years and do the reverse commute because they wanted to walk to pubs, Oilers, events.

I would be VERY surprised to learn that any of TO, MTL, Van or Calgary have a workforce as decentralized as Edmonton's.

Our downtown is government and satellite offices with a few small startups in the mix. Compare that to the number of HQs in the aforementioned cities. See below... lowest # of HQ jobs, lower than Winnipeg, QC and Ottawa..

2019_02_HeadOffices_Tbl2.PNG

The GTA has an immense amount of employers outside of the Downtown core, as does the GVRD, MTL and Calgary.

Calgary per capita probably has the lowest in comparison to the Downtown, but the manufacturing/logistics and service industries outside of the cores of our major centres are often forgotten as very real and important employment nodes. Why people don't see that continues to amaze me.

The issue with Edmonton is that our Downtown employment numbers are rather low vis a vis the top 4 but in line with other tier 2 cities as per your chart.

I think everyone recognizes that industrial/manufacturing areas are important employment nodes in every city, but Edmontons industrial employment is also undeniably larger per capita than other Cities, meaning not as many people are employed in office jobs. That's not a bad thing, but when it comes to attracting people to live downtown, it does make things more difficult.

That it does, but to ignore the fact that most other cities have the majority of their employment outside of their cores as well is something we need to be mindful of.

As you mention though we continue to struggle in attracting and retaining residents in our Downtown proper. While there has been some growth and a few years with relatively high growth for the area, we need to really push for 20,000 people to get things going.

I would be VERY surprised to learn that any of TO, MTL, Van or Calgary have a workforce as decentralized as Edmonton's.

Our downtown is government and satellite offices with a few small startups in the mix. Compare that to the number of HQs in the aforementioned cities. See below... lowest # of HQ jobs, lower than Winnipeg, QC and Ottawa..

2019_02_HeadOffices_Tbl2.PNG
Cut at least 2/3rd’s off of YYC’s HO #’s

The GTA has an immense amount of employers outside of the Downtown core, as does the GVRD, MTL and Calgary.

Calgary per capita probably has the lowest in comparison to the Downtown, but the manufacturing/logistics and service industries outside of the cores of our major centres are often forgotten as very real and important employment nodes. Why people don't see that continues to amaze me.

The issue with Edmonton is that our Downtown employment numbers are rather low vis a vis the top 4 but in line with other tier 2 cities as per your chart.
Good point. In particular, not all head offices in the GTA are located in downtown TO. There are quite a number of head offices spread out through other areas of the GTA.

It is not completely clear to me, but I also suspect the head offices jobs are referring mostly to private sector companies, not including all government downtown office jobs. If so, that would increase the Edmonton numbers somewhat.

I think it is important to consider this too, as the market for such condo's really includes anyone with a fairly well paid, stable job working downtown, not just private sector.

me personally. I lived in Edmontons downtown from 05-08 and back then I'll be honest dt was not that desirable then, hidden lofts were the most sought after which I had. Then I moved all around Canada, lived in Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, sometimes in downtown, sometimes in the out skirts.

When I moved back to Edmonton, I had to give the city credit. Downtown had improved and is still improving big time. However now that I am older, settled down, got a dog, I bought a home outside of Edmonton and commute into downtown for work mostly because I didn't want to live in the fast pace that downtown can bring. I like going home to silence and having a back yard for my dog to run around.

me personally. I lived in Edmontons downtown from 05-08 and back then I'll be honest dt was not that desirable then, hidden lofts were the most sought after which I had. Then I moved all around Canada, lived in Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, sometimes in downtown, sometimes in the out skirts.

When I moved back to Edmonton, I had to give the city credit. Downtown had improved and is still improving big time. However now that I am older, settled down, got a dog, I bought a home outside of Edmonton and commute into downtown for work mostly because I didn't want to live in the fast pace that downtown can bring. I like going home to silence and having a back yard for my dog to run around.

If I get the suburb/rural silence, I'll shoot myself between the ears, hahaha. We're looking into buying either a bigger condo (1300sqft+) or a row house in the core/Oliver/Grandin or Garneau, because we want a dog.
I find it that the units this size are so hard to come by that it is borderline ridiculous. And for me, that is one of the problems with Stantec, too. I can see families, especially those with both adults working Downtown, taking really good advantage of the amenities, including kids and pets, but the units are either too small or too overpriced.

If I get the suburb/rural silence, I'll shoot myself between the ears, hahaha. We're looking into buying either a bigger condo (1300sqft+) or a row house in the core/Oliver/Grandin or Garneau, because we want a dog.
I find it that the units this size are so hard to come by that it is borderline ridiculous. And for me, that is one of the problems with Stantec, too. I can see families, especially those with both adults working Downtown, taking really good advantage of the amenities, including kids and pets, but the units are either too small or too overpriced.
Buy my condo. I'll give you the ol' Stevey G Certification of Skyrise Friendship Discount. And you can count that as a guarantee.

Haha I will be selling but I’m kinda just joking. My place is only a 2 bedroom at 900 sq feet and right downtown in the Dustbowl.

Probably prudent to hold onto it until the park is built.
Fair... My ideal is a 2/3 bedroom with 1000~1300 sq. ft., but a good floor plan with 900 would do the trick.

Attractive!

View attachment 375358
Even with those incentives $765+/sqft is still insane expensive for the average person looking to buy a condo.

Had a peak on realtor.ca and the cheapest condo is $359,000 for 469sqft & once your year is up on condo fees $567.78/month. yeeef

Back