Stantec Tower | 250.84m | 66s | ICE District Prop.

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
IMG_1795.png

I have the same problem and it has been a problem for years and years. If the city really wants to make downtown pedestrian friendly, this would be a good place to start.
The problem is also made worse by interminably long light sequences that can leave you standing for minutes on end (and those scramble intersections make it worse when you have to wait through two sequences…. And why are so many left turn lanes given first priority over pedestrians at the start of a sequence instead of being given the end of the sequence?

The problem is also made worse by interminably long light sequences that can leave you standing for minutes on end (and those scramble intersections make it worse when you have to wait through two sequences…. And why are so many left turn lanes given first priority over pedestrians at the start of a sequence instead of being given the end of the sequence?
The 104 scramble needs to be axed at this point, especially if 102 ave is going to be likely blocked off for considerable time with VLW construction. It’s a terrible intersection for pedestrians and vehicular traffic alike.

But for 'safety'!

It's longer and less intuitive for pedestrians and there simply isn't the volume to warrant it.

A failed experiment under the veil of 'safety'.

Bubble wrap everything and you will see improvements.

Part of the problem was these things probably were planned when it was expected that downtown would get busier, but over the last several years it has went in a totally different direction.

So it will probably take several years more of recovery at least for it to make sense, if it ever does.

Bubble wrap everything and you will see improvements.

Ironically, I don’t think bubble wrapping everything would lead to significantly improved health and safety outcomes. Getting hit by a truck wrapped in bubble wrap is still getting hit by a truck.

There are much more effective interventions which could be undertaken.

I do think that road/street safety should be a significant priority anytime decisions are made about our streets, including redesigns.

Not only because it goes without saying that we don’t want people getting hit by motor vehicles, but places that feel safer are places where people will want to go and spend time.

I’m a father of two young kids now. Having to constantly be responsible for their safety has made me much more aware of the importance of safe street design.

I know when people talk about “safety” concerns downtown they are usually referring to concerns about crime and drug use, but I’m more worried about drivers not paying attention as I’m walking my family across a busy road.

I can’t comment on the specific scramble crossing as I haven’t used it enough, but we should all want streets whose design prioritizes the safety of the people spending time in them.

Ironically, I don’t think bubble wrapping everything would lead to significantly improved health and safety outcomes. Getting hit by a truck wrapped in bubble wrap is still getting hit by a truck.

There are much more effective interventions which could be undertaken.

I do think that road/street safety should be a significant priority anytime decisions are made about our streets, including redesigns.

Not only because it goes without saying that we don’t want people getting hit by motor vehicles, but places that feel safer are places where people will want to go and spend time.

I’m a father of two young kids now. Having to constantly be responsible for their safety has made me much more aware of the importance of safe street design.

I know when people talk about “safety” concerns downtown they are usually referring to concerns about crime and drug use, but I’m more worried about drivers not paying attention as I’m walking my family across a busy road.

I can’t comment on the specific scramble crossing as I haven’t used it enough, but we should all want streets whose design prioritizes the safety of the people spending time in them.

Think of how much safer and fun if we walked around this way.

Screenshot_20240402-122514_Samsung Internet.jpg

Back