Stadium LRT Station Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton | GEC

It'll be so nice not to have to walk through that sketchy ass lower level anymore. Always felt like I was taking my life in my own hands going through there.
I know right? Some folks on reddit were complaining about its removal, since "we're a winter city". I'd much rather wait in a heated glass shelter versus an underground concourse that has poor visibility, keeps you isolated from potential help if something goes wrong, and smells strongly like urine. It's not like the underground portion was a proper waiting area anyways.

Always felt like I was taking my life in my own hands going through there.

Wow - it was that bad? The new station will be an improvement on many levels.

@CplKlinger the strong smell of urine definitely is not isolated to stadium station - most of the downtown underground stations I've been in and their stairwells share that odour. Not the best visibility in sections either.

Wow - it was that bad? The new station will be an improvement on many levels.

@CplKlinger the strong smell of urine definitely is not isolated to stadium station - most of the downtown underground stations I've been in and their stairwells share that odour. Not the best visibility in sections either.
Meh, maybe I'm just a baby, but I felt quite unsafe walking through there at any time of the day or night (aside from the post football game rushes).

Any improvement, doesn't matter if it is just for aesthetic, comfort, safety or all of the above, is welcome. Now, I do find it cute when you Canadians (either born or just raised here) talk about crime and safety HAHAHA. I bet the the most dangerous places in Edmonton are safer than the average fancy neighborhood in any of the cities I lived before moving here.

lol i've never felt scared in that underpass, nor any LRT station for that matter; but unfortunately as a male i tend to be safer in a lot of places. There tends to be vagrancy both around and inside the station, and I can see how it isn't very safe for certain demographics.
That being said, the built form of that underpass sucks in general. The entries are kinda cool, but the concourse (mezzanine?) area down there is too narrow in general, and the stairs are inadequate for crowds. It's sheltered, but an unpleasant place to wait, and you're stuck relying on (sometimes unreliable) announcements to catch your train. Not a great design, especially by modern standards.
Also, IDK if it was doing this before construction started (I'd imagine it was, but can't confirm) but the damn thing is leaking; like multiple-buckets-on-the-floor leaking, the 'roof leaks' they mentioned in one of the press releases seem pretty serious. That underpass is dark, dank, and undersized. I'm really glad to see things be turned towards ground-level entrances and heated shelters on the platform (where people can wait conveniently and still see their trains. I think this new station will help the area throw off its rougher image.

I have missed numerous trains after having to run down to the concourse then up the escalator.

The new station will be great.
Hahaha, I wish I didn't relate to this so much.

& I'd say Stadium station's original design certainly had some issues that could cause people to feel unsafe. Poor sight lines and lots of spaces for folks to just... hang out were the prevailing issues. Still had absolutely nothing on Coliseum station, however.

Hahaha, I wish I didn't relate to this so much.

& I'd say Stadium station's original design certainly had some issues that could cause people to feel unsafe. Poor sight lines and lots of spaces for folks to just... hang out were the prevailing issues. Still had absolutely nothing on Coliseum station, however.
I agree completely. I'm really glad that the city's plans for the area will solve two problems by replacing the coliseum station with two other stations. They'll be safer and nicer than the Coliseum station, and many of the local residents won't have to travel as far to use the LRT.

I agree completely. I'm really glad that the city's plans for the area will solve two problems by replacing the coliseum station with two other stations. They'll be safer and nicer than the Coliseum station, and many of the local residents won't have to travel as far to use the LRT.
Now if only we could get a new LRT station added between Churchill and Stadium around 95 Street to service Chinatown and Little Italy.

I also never understood why the Capital Line portal exits before 95th Street - you'd think they would've tunneled an extra 100 metres (not much in the grand scheme of things) to avoid a level crossing there.

Now if only we could get a new LRT station added between Churchill and Stadium around 95 Street to service Chinatown and Little Italy.

I also never understood why the Capital Line portal exits before 95th Street - you'd think they would've tunneled an extra 100 metres (not much in the grand scheme of things) to avoid a level crossing there.
It'd be nice if they finally utilized the so-called Future Station.

If we want to promote density and walkability on Edmonton's existing footprint - this has always seemed to be the most obvious no-brainer to me.

Who doesn't want to live a few blocks from the LRT, Little Italy, Lucky 97 and so much pho? More residents and eyes on the street would change the feel quickly.

Back