Stadium LRT Station Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton | GEC

Although I am excited for this station renewal, I wonder if we will ever get to the point where stations are developed as part of a larger mixed use building.

If you mean building a high-rise on top of an at-grade station, forget it.

If it's underground stations, then all the downtown ones are already linked via the pedway system to their surrounding buildings.

I guess the most applicable example would be CN tower, which once sat atop the Via station - now passengers taking the Canadian alight at a shack that doesn't even have bus service.

Personally, I am suspicious of grandiose master-planned areas that purportedly feature transit as their centrepiece. Not only does Edmonton have a dismal record with such projects, it reeks of what I term Development-Oriented Transit (an inversion of TOD).

Permit Type Major Development Permit
Permit Class Class B
Permit Date Jun 23, 2020
Status In Progress
Description of Development To demolish a portion of an existing Minor Impact Utility Service, construct a new platform, canopies, and sheltered seating areas, and to construct exterior and interior alterations to the Minor Impact Utility Service (new landscaping, revised public space). (Stadium LRT Transit Station)
Address 100 - STADIUM TRANSIT STATION NW

The Stadium LRT Station public art competition, open to professional artists and artist teams/
collectives who reside in Canada, is held in accordance with the City of Edmonton policy “Percent
for Art to Provide and Encourage Art in Public Areas” (C458C). Artists with a connection to this
area of Edmonton are encouraged to apply. Based upon a portfolio review and interview, the
successful artist(s) will be commissioned to create an artwork.

From yesterday, looking northeast from the bus platform:

668C3588-7CCA-4565-8A57-FF08675A4C5A.jpeg

TLC for LRT: Stadium LRT Station Redevelopment Update
July 28, 2020

On June 28, as part of the City of Edmonton’s TLC for LRT initiative, demolition work began at Stadium Station and track renewal work began near Stadium Station. Due to unanticipated site conditions, additional work is now required, and the timeline for this work will be extended.

After removal of the overhead canopy, water was observed leaking along the Stadium Station lower concourse walls and roof, and cracking in the concrete. The contractor will need to replace the waterproof membrane and repair the concrete on the concourse roof before proceeding with the track replacement and installation of two new pedestrian crossings as originally planned.

As a result, until late August, trains between Churchill and Clareview, and Churchill and NAIT will continue to run every 20 minutes. Between Churchill and Century Park, trains will run every 10 minutes.

From early September to late October, trains between Churchill and Clareview, and Churchill and NAIT will run every 15 minutes. Between Churchill and Century Park, trains will run every 7.5 minutes.

Metro Line trains will continue to run between Century Park and NAIT all day for the project duration.

During COVID-19, we are continuing to maintain and improve our city through infrastructure renewal. We are closely following the most recent guidelines and recommendations set by the Government of Alberta and Alberta Health, and are taking extra steps to ensure the places where we work are safe, sanitary, and provide proper physical distancing.

For more information:
edmonton.ca/tlcforlrt

It would be nice if the City could one day figure out a way to close stations for renos (Mckernan, Stadium, Central, etc.) without making transit service super infrequent for months and months. Not sure if this is psychically possible on the current lines, or if its about construction schedules?

Rode past this this afternoon. I'm a bit confused by the waterproofing issue. is the underground concourse staying, to become part of the new station? tbh it seems like it could be an asset, i just don't see it in the renderings. if it's not staying, why fix it?
also, here's a picture, from the one viable angle i could find. they looked to be sinking some kind of pile. further south along the line, the western track is completely dug up, with a trench a few feet deep in its place, and a membrane being installed. it will be interesting to see this project progress over the next couple months before snow hits.
IMG_8685.JPG

Some high-quality renderings from GEC:

Stadium+Station_Platform_fall.jpg

LRT+Station_Platform_.jpgPromenade_.jpgLRT+Station_Aerial_+(with+GEC+logo).jpgStadium+Station_Platform_fall.jpg

These renderings are great. I feel like sealing off the underpass is gonna be a negative to a lot of people (not having to cross the tracks directly, sheltered from the cold, a good pedestrian connection as the site is currently configured) I think this otherwise looks really good. the inclusion of actual shelters on all the platforms is great! being able to shut a door and block the wind is huge when waiting in the cold during the winter.

These renderings are great. I feel like sealing off the underpass is gonna be a negative to a lot of people (not having to cross the tracks directly, sheltered from the cold, a good pedestrian connection as the site is currently configured) I think this otherwise looks really good. the inclusion of actual shelters on all the platforms is great! being able to shut a door and block the wind is huge when waiting in the cold during the winter.
I couldn't agree more with you on the shelters. I honestly believe that if all of our stations had similar setting, it would even help increase ridership, over time, as one of the biggest complaints from potential riders is that waiting for the LRT during the colder days is unbearable (same goes for buses).

I couldn't agree more with you on the shelters. I honestly believe that if all of our stations had similar setting, it would even help increase ridership, over time, as one of the biggest complaints from potential riders is that waiting for the LRT during the colder days is unbearable (same goes for buses).
Generally speaking, at least you know the LRT is going to show up in a reasonable amount of time in the winter. I think most people are willing to wait in the cold (we live in Edmonton after all); however, when the timeframe becomes unreasonable is when people have issues. That is why a lot of people ditch the bus in Edmonton - lack of consistency. The LRT is more or less consistent, even in the winter.

Generally speaking, at least you know the LRT is going to show up in a reasonable amount of time in the winter. I think most people are willing to wait in the cold (we live in Edmonton after all); however, when the timeframe becomes unreasonable is when people have issues. That is why a lot of people ditch the bus in Edmonton - lack of consistency. The LRT is more or less consistent, even in the winter.
yup. I've heard people complain about the Downtown Stations being too cold even, despite the IR heaters and being underground. it is a deterrent. tbh i think they're being a bit whiny, those stations might get below 0 if it's -25, but this is also Canada and ya oughtta have a coat!
Yeah. I hope for the bus. I used to ride it all the time, but service got more and more inconsistent over time, I learned to bike in the city and now i find little use for the bus. I hope the regional system will be the shakeup needed to get things running more reliably.
But in terms of the train, i think this new approach of open platforms with 'sealable' shelters is the way to go for our climate. Even just the open ends on an otherwise sheltered platform isn't enough for a cold winter like ours.

Back