Southpark on Whyte | 50.9m | 16s | ONE Properties | GBL Architects

What do you think of the design of Southpark?

• I like it a lot

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • I like it

Votes: 25 49.0%
  • I neither like nor dislike it

Votes: 8 15.7%
  • I dislike it

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • I dislike it a lot

Votes: 3 5.9%

• Total voters
Your old road is
Rapidly agin'.
Please get out of the new one
If you can't lend your hand
For the times they are a-changin'…. Bob Dylan

Edmonton already suffers from too much sprawl and the new meme is densified housing and community. Jane Jacobs spoke of the value of this oh so many years ago. These type of projects do not threaten -- rather, they enhance lifestyle. To some, all change is scary. The scarier and far more dangerous thing is the retention of vacant lots. Old Strathcona needs this development.

@TOJungle EDC is the Edmonton Design Committee:

The Edmonton Design Committee provides advice to the City in formulating Urban Design principles, guidelines and policies. The committee also uses the principles to review and provide recommendations to applicants and the City on development applications referred to the committee.

https://www.edmonton.ca/city_government/city_organization/edmonton-design-committee.aspx

Their review and support of projects within their scope (mostly consisting of central neighbourhoods, "main streets," and high-visibility thoroughfares (e.g., Gateway Blvd. & Calgary Trail) is taken into consideration when their rezoning and development permits are up for approval.

As to that specific comment on this proposal, I'm actually not sure what it means. Best guess is they tried to get away with using vague language or insufficient detail in the zoning document and are being called out on it.

@TOJungle EDC is the Edmonton Design Committee:

https://www.edmonton.ca/city_government/city_organization/edmonton-design-committee.aspx

Their review and support of projects within their scope (mostly consisting of central neighbourhoods, "main streets," and high-visibility thoroughfares (e.g., Gateway Blvd. & Calgary Trail) is taken into consideration when their rezoning and development permits are up for approval.

As to that specific comment on this proposal, I'm actually not sure what it means. Best guess is they tried to get away with using vague language or insufficient detail in the zoning document and are being called out on it.

@Daveography Thanks for the insights! if that indeed is the case then no excuse on the developer.

This shows a hearing date, but that can't be correct; council didn't meet Jan. 1. Might be Feb. 1 but I can't imagine council would debate this AND The Quarters Hotel on the same day?

Description: To rezone from CB2, DC2 to DC1
Bylaw: 17848
Type: REZONING
Application ID: 184826148-003
Decision Date:
Application Date: 3-NOV-2016
Public Hearing Date: 1-JAN-2017
Current Document: Current Document

Building project should let the light shine on Whyte Avenue
The developers behind a massive project south of Whyte Avenue have come up with a design that should allay the fears of those who were absolutely against the idea of twenty storey towers in Old Strathcona.
The striking element of one is how the tower sits atop several terraces.

“The terracing was an important factor,” city planner Andrew McLellan said. “It allowed us to have the assurance that, if council approves the application, the site will be developed with a certain type of building, that will still allow lots of sun penetration on to the Whyte avenue pedestrian corridor, and the terracing allowed us to make sure that happened. So that was an important part.”

South-park-building-plans-106-Street-Whyte-ave-2.jpg

http://www.630ched.com/2017/01/06/144780/

Southpark on Whyte aims for two more towers just outside heritage area
A proposal for two more towers bordering the Old Strathcona Provincial Heritage Area has one councillor worried a wall of imposing condos will change the feel of Edmonton’s key tourism destination.

Southpark on Whyte is a four-building proposal heading to city council for consideration of zoning approval in January. The company wants to include two towers — one thin and one wider — 18 storeys tall and a half-block south of Whyte Avenue, promising neither building will throw a shadow on the north sidewalk of the pedestrian street between spring and fall.

“It doesn’t look skinny to me. It looks like a wall,” said area Coun. Ben Henderson, referring to a city policy calling for only skinny point towers with shadows that move quickly across the landscape.

“This is a really important area for us in terms of the reputation of the city and economic activity,” he said.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...or-two-more-towers-just-outside-heritage-area

Councillor worried Whyte Ave towers will kill street’s character
Edmonton city council is set to debate the fate of two proposed residential towers just off Whyte Avenue, that are even taller than the contentious Mezzo building, which they green-lit last spring.

One Properties is the company behind the proposed Southpark on Whyte complex, that would include two 20 storey towers on 81 Avenue and two four-storey units on Whyte itself.

On Jan. 23, administration will ask councillors to approve zoning changes around 106 Street and 81 Avenue, which would allow the developer to move ahead.

Andrew McLellan, a city planner, said the complex would offer street-level retail and restaurants at the base facing Whyte.

“I think the development overall will contribute to what people enjoy about the area,” he said.

http://www.metronews.ca/news/edmont...ied-whyte-ave-towers-will-kill-character.html

Back