Southpark on Whyte | 50.9m | 16s | ONE Properties | GBL Architects

What do you think of the design of Southpark?

• I like it a lot

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • I like it

Votes: 25 49.0%
  • I neither like nor dislike it

Votes: 8 15.7%
  • I dislike it

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • I dislike it a lot

Votes: 3 5.9%

• Total voters
Phase 2 is similar, but the 81ave towers and alley activation to follow will really help to complete Southpark. Are plans available for phase 3 or 4 yet Avenuer
1612994443040.png

One more post and then I'll drop it since most people seem to like the design of this project.

On the issue of incrementalism, outside of prairie boomtowns most cities keep buildings around for a very long time, so they are stuck with what they build. While I agree that an improvement over what exists now is good, the city can still be stuck with a bad or ugly developments for a very long time. If we accept merely "better than what is there now", we'll continue to have problems with incomplete and ugly streets. I know this is a bit at odds with my thoughts on Little Amsterdam (aka Manchester Square), but I guess I just find Southpark to be rather ugly and out of step with the rest of Whyte.

My other thought is that when you need to defend a development by saying things like, "wait until the vegetation grows in" or "phase II will make it look better", you very likely have an ugly development. A building's design really needs to be able to stand on its own.

@tkoe_ I think in this case it really just comes down to different tastes in building designs. I like the way this building looks, you don't, and that's okay. I also like the way that those Calgary projects look and I hope we can see more of those designs here.

Noticed this today, looks like another lot is going to the dogs...
2021-07-27 001.JPG2021-07-27 002.JPG2021-07-27 005.JPG2021-07-27 006.JPG

I'm assuming it's a dog run. Has anyone heard anything about this?
Whatever it is, I think One/Wheaton did the area a big favour to sod the site, and now this chainlink doggie heaven. It has become a decent and usable space for the community until further development. Wishing a few other developers would take notice, not naming any names Regency. I was hoping that this parcel would have started this year, as was their plan I believe.
Hey, maybe they will shift focus and start on the 81ave site behind this one first?

Well the more sites that can be sodded until construction happens the better. If only they could do that to the arlington site that could actually become a nice little semi permanent park with a bit of retro-ish look with some of the remnants of the arlington still there.

Noticed this today, looks like another lot is going to the dogs...
View attachment 337649View attachment 337650View attachment 337651View attachment 337652

I'm assuming it's a dog run. Has anyone heard anything about this?
Whatever it is, I think One/Wheaton did the area a big favour to sod the site, and now this chainlink doggie heaven. It has become a decent and usable space for the community until further development. Wishing a few other developers would take notice, not naming any names Regency. I was hoping that this parcel would have started this year, as was their plan I believe.
Hey, maybe they will shift focus and start on the 81ave site behind this one first?
I'm not sure what is happening, but a green space is much nicer than what was there before.

It has been looking a bit yellow because it has been so hot and dry this summer. Saw someone watering the grass one day, which is good, but they will have to keep at it to keep it in shape.

Back