Southpark on Whyte | 50.9m | 16s | ONE Properties | GBL Architects

What do you think of the design of Southpark?

• I like it a lot

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • I like it

Votes: 25 49.0%
  • I neither like nor dislike it

Votes: 8 15.7%
  • I dislike it

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • I dislike it a lot

Votes: 3 5.9%

• Total voters
'Beautiful' is a stretch in my eyes (I reserve that descriptor for such buildings as the Legislature, Brighton Block and even Encore) , but I would easily say it is 'slick' and Old Strathcona's most attractive modern, mixed-use infill (so far).
It fits in well with the area which has historical buildings nearby. Modern, but with a style that compliments that. Also, while the Raymond Block has a great podium, the section above doesn't integrate with it as well as this. After initial reservations, I have come to really like what they have done here.

It fits in well with the area which has historical buildings nearby. Modern, but with a style that compliments that. Also, while the Raymond Block has a great podium, the section above doesn't integrate with it as well as this. After initial reservations, I have come to really like what they have done here.

Agreed, the residential storeys of the Raymond Block really don't do it for me.

As for South Park, I really like the intricate brickwork they've done on the facade. I wish we'd see more of that on new builds.

I also prefer the podium of south park from a scale and walkability perspective. Raymond podium feels like a blank wall and doesnt make me want to go into the retail stores. The southpark podium does a better job with offsets and sitting areas. It feels like a place you can linger.

Some shots from today. Like most people on here, this development's really grown on me and I don't think pictures do it justice:
IMG_20210121_180754_197.jpg

IMG_20210121_180916_813.jpg

IMG_20210121_180459_203.jpg

IMG_20210121_180626_047.jpg

Some shots from today. Like most people on here, this development's really grown on me and I don't think pictures do it justice:

View attachment 295457

While I am happy this parcel was developed relatively quickly, after seeing the building in person on the weekend I think they did a poor job. Even though it uses brick it seems cheap, and the colours scheme misses the mark if they were trying to do something similar to the Beljan project on 81 ave. For a neighbourhood with the highest concentration of historic and notable buildings in Edmonton, a better design should have been required on this project.

While I am happy this parcel was developed relatively quickly, after seeing the building in person on the weekend I think they did a poor job. Even though it uses brick it seems cheap, and the colours scheme misses the mark if they were trying to do something similar to the Beljan project on 81 ave. For a neighbourhood with the highest concentration of historic and notable buildings in Edmonton, a better design should have been required on this project.
I actually like how the brick turned out - better than expected imo. The variation in depth created with the brick on the facade is more interesting than the typical sheer, flat surfaces we too often see with new buildings. The red is a nice 'pop' of colour as well, which breaks up the typical 'Edmonton grey, white and beige'.

I actually like how the brick turned out - better than expected imo. The variation in depth created with the brick on the facade is more interesting than the typical sheer, flat surfaces we too often see with new buildings. The red is a nice 'pop' of colour as well, which breaks up the typical 'Edmonton grey, white and beige'.
Don't get me wrong, it isn't terrible, but this type of 'mail-it-in' development should not be permitted on one of the premier avenues in Edmonton.

I recognize there are differences in the markets, but take a look at any of these projects in Calgary and tell me that they are not head and shoulders better designs:

Don't get me wrong, it isn't terrible, but this type of 'mail-it-in' development should not be permitted on one of the premier avenues in Edmonton.

I recognize there are differences in the markets, but take a look at any of these projects in Calgary and tell me that they are not head and shoulders better designs:

Agreed, I would much prefer any of those on the Southpark site (especially Arc 33). Am I mad about how the actual building turned out though? No, but designs can always be improved upon.

Someone tell RNDSQR to open an office in Edmonton... they're developing in Winnipeg but not in Eddy!

I suppose you can always find something nice somewhere else. On the other hand, you can probably find things elsewhere that are not as nice too.

I think the more relevant tests for a development are whether it improves on what was there before, how well it fits in with and benefits the area. I think overall this one is a plus and turned out better that expected.

Back