Southpark on Whyte | 50.9m | 16s | ONE Properties | GBL Architects

What do you think of the design of Southpark?

• I like it a lot

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • I like it

Votes: 25 49.0%
  • I neither like nor dislike it

Votes: 8 15.7%
  • I dislike it

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • I dislike it a lot

Votes: 3 5.9%

• Total voters
I should add that your reasoning as well as the noise is all why I'm surprised it's leased up decently. Their cheapest 2 bed 2 bath I've seen lately is basically $2500/month. That's big money for a relatively non-luxury rental in Edmonton.

The noise doesn't bother me either--I live off 109 and Jasper--but it's a pretty common complaint among some of the other residents of my building and other people I know who are turned off by it.
Agreed. $2500 is WAAAAAY too expensive for their offering. Kind surprises me that they're almost all leased up, too.

Also:

1 - We live really close to each other, haha.
2 - People need to have realistic expectations. If you don't want noise, living in a busier urban area is not of you. We have plenty of suburban, or even quieter urban areas (actually, more than I think we should).

Agreed. $2500 is WAAAAAY too expensive for their offering. Kind surprises me that they're almost all leased up, too.

Also:

1 - We live really close to each other, haha.
2 - People need to have realistic expectations. If you don't want noise, living in a busier urban area is not of you. We have plenty of suburban, or even quieter urban areas (actually, more than I think we should).
Many university kids with rich parents...

I am not sure I agree here. Yes, certain noise levels in urban areas are inevitable, but others are excessive. There are reasons people prefer to walk down 102 Ave as opposed to Jasper - noise being one of them. If we can create main streets that are more pedestrian friendly, the noise levels should naturally reduce to tolerable levels (noisier than suburban but quieter than arterial roads and highways). Some places in downtown Toronto are quieter and more enjoyable despite a dense urban setting.

To northlands point, it is a common complaint for people already living urban. So imagine trying to shift the mindset on noise for someone who currently lives suburban. Might be a tough sell.

I am not sure I agree here. Yes, certain noise levels in urban areas are inevitable, but others are excessive. There are reasons people prefer to walk down 102 Ave as opposed to Jasper - noise being one of them. If we can create main streets that are more pedestrian friendly, the noise levels should naturally reduce to tolerable levels (noisier than suburban but quieter than arterial roads and highways). Some places in downtown Toronto are quieter and more enjoyable despite a dense urban setting.

To northlands point, it is a common complaint for people already living urban. So imagine trying to shift the mindset on noise for someone who currently lives suburban. Might be a tough sell.

Agree that making streets more friendly to pedestrians, those on bikes, etc is of great benefit. I also agree that you can have a lively, urban area without excessive internal combustion engine noise. (I would say that the best lively, urban areas do not have excessive internal combustion engine noise.)

I think Whyte will be much nicer to live on, spend time on, and be quieter as well once the majority of the street parking is taken out, a lane of private motor vehicle traffic is removed, and the sidewalks are widened, among the other potential improvements.

Maybe some prefer 102 Ave, but I walk down Jasper Ave all the time and the noise doesn't it doesn't bother me.

Interestingly, I notice Jasper Ave generally has a lot more pedestrians that 102 Ave whenever I use both. The latter is not just quiet, it is dead.

Capture.PNG

"Funded?" As in funded for initial construction 3 years ago? Or funded as in, "funded in some sort of sale? And by doing so Phase 2 is going to go ahead with the proceeds of said sale?"

interesting to go back to page one and see all the iterations...now we're here; lowered expectations.

Just too bad they couldn't use the sign.
AFAIK it's still supposed to be incorporated into phase 2, whenever it moves forward

Back