South Edmonton Hospital & Health Campus | ?m | ?s | Province of Alberta

In this day and age the fact that this will be a decade of work is staggering.

Not really. It’s typical for a new hospital to take about 5-6 years (Mackenzie Vaughan in Ontario was a little under 5). The code requirements and complex systems in hospitals aren’t like a residential building.

Construction hasn’t started on the building which isn’t expected until 2023 according to the Major Projects page. This news about getting the initial infrastructure in for the hospital is good though for sure.

I hope the City can find a way to extend the LRT 1 extra stop from the current plan to reach the hospital right away, would be nice to have access as soon as the hospital opens.

Something doesn’t sit well with me. First of, THIS crummy little Global story is THE official story of the groundbreaking? Not much of a sod turning event. One Minister? Where’s the whole contingent? 2nd, who is “Aman Builders?” Where is the “Sureway” sign…..are they not the largest groundworks company? Along with the the PCL sign….assuming they will get the contract? I have a feeling this Aman Builders is a buddy of Panda’s ……

And 3rd’ly….why can’t Global do their homework before they report the “393M” dollar price tag? Are they serious? Any layman knows this will push 2 Billion…..ugghhhhhh

Aman is not big enough to do a project of this size and complexity. (ED, Clark, PCL Bird all are more realistic for this project). Plus if it was a ground breaking Kenny would have been there all smiley face.

Something doesn’t sit well with me. First of, THIS crummy little Global story is THE official story of the groundbreaking? Not much of a sod turning event. One Minister? Where’s the whole contingent? 2nd, who is “Aman Builders?” Where is the “Sureway” sign…..are they not the largest groundworks company? Along with the the PCL sign….assuming they will get the contract? I have a feeling this Aman Builders is a buddy of Panda’s ……

Props to you, I didn't watch the video just read the article, and you're right after watching that I'm scratching my head pretty hard. At the very minimum, how does our Health Minister Shandro not show up to something as substantial as this?

I'm not super familiar with Aman Builders either, I'd assume they're wearing that hat for the earthworks portion providing the construction/proj mgmt with Abalone as a sub, and they're no slouch in the EDM area earthworks biz. Nothing super out of ordinary but given everything else it's a tad sus

PCL, Clark, Ledcor, or some big international corp prob end up with the actual GC title for cobbling the actual hospital together.

Yeah this is a bit of a weird announcement, but it really is not a groundbreaking or even an unveiling - just some very preliminary site works. There's still a ton of work to go before the real procurement takes place. Once the actual procurement of the contract (p3 or whatever form it ends up being) happens there will surely be a big event. As @MacLac said, this is a $2 billion project.

Hospitals of this scale are ridiculously complicated. The amount of work that has to be put in before it even gets close to procurement is staggering - especially when you're trying to future proof a high tech building that won't even be complete for a decade. There are so many stakeholders and different sources of input to be considered. It's honestly a marvel that hospitals of this scale even get built at all.

Yeah this is a bit of a weird announcement, but it really is not a groundbreaking or even an unveiling - just some very preliminary site works. There's still a ton of work to go before the real procurement takes place. Once the actual procurement of the contract (p3 or whatever form it ends up being) happens there will surely be a big event. As @MacLac said, this is a $2 billion project.

Hospitals of this scale are ridiculously complicated. The amount of work that has to be put in before it even gets close to procurement is staggering - especially when you're trying to future proof a high tech building that won't even be complete for a decade. There are so many stakeholders and different sources of input to be considered. It's honestly a marvel that hospitals of this scale even get built at all.
It's crazy to think however, China could build something of this scope and size in less than a year. Obviously many factors play into that.

It's crazy to think however, China could build something of this scope and size in less than a year. Obviously many factors play into that.
What are you referring to? If it's the emergency hospitals at the start of the pandemic, they're more comparable to the emergency facility which was placed in the Butterdome. They were just temporary facilities constructed out of shipping containers, and I believe they closed months ago.

If you're referring to actual hospitals, another thing to consider is how little consultation goes on over there. Unlike here, the government doesn't even need to make a show of consulting stakeholders, studying environmental impacts, etc. If they want want build something, they will. If they want it to be built in a certain way, it will happen. And of course, they have lots of money to spread among labourers who get paid much less than their counterparts here.

So I agree, their construction speed is remarkable, but it does come at a cost that I don't think is worth incuring.

Cue the Ron Paul meme - it's happening!

20210930_125624.jpg
20210930_125634.jpg
20210930_125644.jpg

Back