Rogers Place | ?m | ?s | Katz Group | HOK

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Holy Murray Edwards! Just pulled the deal on the new YYC Event Center! I’ve been saying this since 2017…..he already had a deal to sell to the guy in Houston. ALL Flames staff were told in April of that year…..
Oh the roller coaster of trying to build a new arena. Those of us in Edmonton at the time recall that ride.

It might be harder for Calgary because they a group of owners, not just one like here. Likely one (or two) didn't want to put in more money and has dug in his heels. They seem so close, so I think they will work something out somehow.

Probably for the best if you are Flames ownership. Hard to imagine they wouldn't have been saddled with a fair bit of extra costs as the project actually got underway. For everyone else it wasn't exactly an architectural marvel that most would be sad to lose.

Look forward to following the story in the coming years as discussion begin anew after the cooling off period. In the meantime we can continue to appreciate what we have in Rogers place and enjoy what it can become as we emerge from Covid and the district fills in around it!

Pretty sure they will feint an opportunity to relocate to Quebec City or some other market., commission an unaudited economic impact study citing the economic benefits to a new arena to the city of Calgary, claim costs have now gone up due to inflation, then donate money to city charitable organizations (or charities supported by sitting city councilors).

By the end of 2022 a new agreement will be had that provides more public money to the team, however drafted in a more complicated manner that will make it more difficult for the average citizen to understand.

Meh, i think the Saddledome replacement was a solution looking for a problem. Looking at the plans they had for the building itself, as well as the ...ambitious plans they had for the rest of Victoria Park, (calling for thousands of new apartments and swathes of commercial space to built in an already oversaturated market, filling up all of the gravel parking they carved out for themselves over decades in one fell swoop). It was not going to work.
I'm actually quite happy with Rogers Place, mainly because of the small, relatively successful district around it. It spurred enough development to not leave it marooned in a sea of parking lots, acted as a selling point for nearby projects, and isa capable facility for hosting events. mission accomplished. Now if we could get something happening on the Block BG podium, and some kind of development for the north side of the site, I would be over the moon.

Pretty sure they will feint an opportunity to relocate to Quebec City or some other market., commission an unaudited economic impact study citing the economic benefits to a new arena to the city of Calgary, claim costs have now gone up due to inflation, then donate money to city charitable organizations (or charities supported by sitting city councilors).

By the end of 2022 a new agreement will be had that provides more public money to the team, however drafted in a more complicated manner that will make it more difficult for the average citizen to understand.
Oh yes, we haven't heard the end of this. The fundamental issues remain. The Saddledome is an old building, is not well suited for other events like concerts. So I suspect relocation of the hockey team will eventually come up if nothing new happens on replacing it.

How serious that option would be remains to be seen, but I suspect the owners are not that happy now. The opportunity to get cash out and/or go somewhere else where they are more welcomed may be enticing.

The NHL ain't leaving Calgary. It's a strategic market with a significant corporate base and ties the western teams together.

QC won't be a reality under Bettman, period.
Nah, Bettman will ask Edwards to move the team to Houston, the Calgary of the USA!

This “entire process” of “trying” to get a new arena deal was part of the “required process” before the team officially moved to good ‘ol Houston. I’d post this on the YYC but I’d be attacked guns-a-blazing lol

Back