Edmonton Riverboat

Daveography

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Edmonton Queen captain treading water after riverboat renovation
new-edmonton-queen-owner.jpg

Jay Esterer, an Edmonton businessman, bought the Edmonton Queen for $553,000 in April. (Zoe Todd/CBC)

A boat is a hole in the water into which you pour money.

The old adage has proven true for Jay Esterer, the owner and captain of the Edmonton Queen.

After purchasing the iconic boat in an online auction in May 2016, the Edmonton businessman has completely refurbished the vessel.

The renovation included cosmetic upgrades to the interior; fresh paint, new flooring and fixtures, and in the bowels of the ship, an overhaul of the mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems.

The ship will serve as a floating cafe and event space, as soon as Esterer is granted all the necessary permits.

Before revealing the upgrades to the media Thursday morning, he admitted that the old wooden ship has been a money pit.

"There's been a lot of money dumped into the water yeah, it's been pretty expensive," said Esterer in an interview with CBC Radio's Edmonton AM.

"It's only cost money so far. It hasn't made a dime yet."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/edmonton-queen-riverboat-renovation-1.4311131

Edmonton Queen paddlewheeler ready to sail — once the paperwork is done
screen-shot-2017-09-29-at-1-14-16-pm.png.size.xxlarge.promo.png

KEVIN TUONG/METRO

EDMONTON — The owner of the Edmonton Queen riverboat says the passenger ship is ready to sail again down the North Saskatchewan River after sitting idle for years.

Well, at least once the paperwork is done.

Jay Esterer, who bought the paddlewheeler at auction in May 2016, says he loves the city's river valley and its history, and he thinks the Edmonton Queen is an important component of both.

He says he's done extensive work on both the mechanics and the interior of the boat, and it's all ready for passengers.

The only holdup is the city is still reviewing his application to hold events and the federal government must send out inspectors to sign off on its safety.

Esterer hopes to resume regular sailing of the Queen by 2018.

http://www.metronews.ca/news/edmont...ready-to-sail-once-the-paperwork-is-done.html

Edmonton Queen owner says only permits are keeping boat off river

Riverboat renovations done, owner waiting for permits to open for public

@Airboy I saw that on my bike ride today! I was honestly so confused as to why it was there, also what do you mean by "hauling it out"?

I wish the Queen has some smaller siblings... More like those Parisian water taxi boats that could run in much shallower water to places in the west end valley... More long-term River Valley dreams...
You're onto something there, my friend. Imagine a small water taxi network on the river, linking up key areas like big parks, attractions and developments during the summer. That would be verrry interesting especially with the touch the water project revived now 😏

You're onto something there, my friend. Imagine a small water taxi network on the river, linking up key areas like big parks, attractions and developments during the summer. That would be verrry interesting especially with the touch the water project revived now 😏
I`m pretty sure there's a few people here in this very forum that are looking carefully at those ideas, my friend. At least it might make it reach the right ears, hahahaha

Back