News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Edmonton - Red Deer - Calgary Hyperloop | ?m | ?s | Transpod

What do you think of a Hyperloop between Edmonton and Calgary?

• Total voters
well, saying you would expect it to be a boondoggle doesn't necessarily indicated the most open of minds ;-) But I know you are far more thoughtful in your criticisms than most. There seem to be some on here who think we should shoot this thing down asap just because it is an unproven technology and there is Chinese money involved. I think that would be a mistake. We can hear them out and still ultimately decide not to approve if things don't make sense or seem to risky. We have processes for a reason.

Last edited:
The the thing that worries me the most about this project is that it will distract investors and the public from getting behind HSR… sure, this is a private enterprise, using private capital, but it is seen by some as a better alternative to an existing proven technology, and I fear in the end nothing will get built.

The the thing that worries me the most about this project is that it will distract investors and the public from getting behind HSR… sure, this is a private enterprise, using private capital, but it is seen by some as a better alternative to an existing proven technology, and I fear in the end nothing will get built.

I don't share your fear here. There are groups of companies/investors with capital that are focused on HSR (and more and more are paying attention to North America as a growth area) that have experience in the area and have virtually zero interest in Hyperloops. The capital that would support hyperloop technology has very little overlap with those that would fund HSR, in my opinion. The worry would be more about the Government of Alberta getting distracted by hyperloop over HSR, but that does not appear to be the case in any way. The companies behind the HSR project in Alberta has the ear of the GoA and things are (slowly) moving while the hyperloop project is not a top priority. That is how it should be in my mind. Yet I would still be disappointed to see the GoA putting up any active roadblocks for hyperloop to at least start on a test track, with its own funding. Let's keep our eye on the HSR ball but not ignore potentially revolutionary technology. We can walk and chew gum at the same time.

Agreed, Elon Musk basically admitted he only created the concept to distract from building real HSR, and was particularly targeting California HSR to sell more Tesla's. It's hardly even a Gadgetbahn, it's a Distractionbahn.
Yeah, I really like Tesla products despite my best effort to try everything else. What I don't like is Tesla's very good engineers and UI people being wasted on only cars. I hope Tesla leans into rail in some capacity, which won't surprise me because they're leeches for public funds.

Nothing to do with Transpod.

I mean... in my mind it kinda has everything to do with Transpod. Hyperloop One was the largest player in this industry BY FAR, and the only one that managed to make a prototype which could carry humans safely akaik. So to see that they've shut down due to, allegedly, a lack of interest in their product would actually be highly concerning if I was a shareholder in a much smaller hyperloop startup.

Will hyperloop systems or something reminiscent of them ever see mass-adoption for transportation? I think so, in a few decades at least. Unfortunately we needed reliable intercity mass transit yesterday, and HSR would already be an astronomical improvement over the current situation, all while linking Alberta's major centres into essentially a megalopolis of almost 3 million people

Floating trains as fast as planes? Toronto startup says 1,000km/h speeds could be a reality in the next decade​

Plasma technology key to Transpod's high-speed vision, says company

The Government of Alberta signed a memorandum of understanding with TransPod in 2021 to connect Edmonton to Calgary by high-speed rail. The "test" train, as Gendron calls it, could get passengers from one city to the other in 45 minutes. He previously told the CBC that one-way tickets would likely range from $40 to $60.

Although it's a multi-billion dollar project, the province isn't giving any money to it. That doesn't trouble Gendron though.

"We're not requesting taxpayer money."

That leaves a lot of funds to raise. A feasibility study in Alberta estimated the cost for creating the 350 kilometres of rail and other infrastructure at $22.4 billion, or $45.1 million per kilometre. That study also found the rail loop could help reduce the province's carbon emissions by 636,000 tonnes per year.

Because the company will rely on private investment, Gendron says connecting to airports and major cities will be critical, so TransPod trains can become integral to freight shipping.

Back