News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton Real Estate Market

Still the brightest light...
Interesting article. Is it called the Calgary Journal now?

But back to the topic at hand, I have a feeling with the end of the provincial election spending spree and languishing oil prices that modest growth predicted with be on the modest side of modest.

Screen Shot 2023-06-20 at 7.51.13 AM.png

Honestly at 35 in the right home I wouldn't mind living with my rents. They're chill as hell, respect space, cook awesome meals, and I could do the maintenance around the place as they enter their golden years.

Duplex would be ideal. But I suspect out east they just don't have the choice. It's either do it or be homeless for many people in the zoomer and millennial categories.

Honestly at 35 in the right home I wouldn't mind living with my rents. They're chill as hell, respect space, cook awesome meals, and I could do the maintenance around the place as they enter their golden years.

Duplex would be ideal. But I suspect out east they just don't have the choice. It's either do it or be homeless for many people in the zoomer and millennial categories.
Work with a guy whose culture is pre much to stay in the same home as your family or neighborhood, and the way he explained it, im not gonna lie, it seemed kinda great. His dad does some chores around the house, his mom does a bit of cooking and cleaning, and both his parents drop and pick his kids up from school and babysit while his wife can be a doctor, and he has time to be a full-time engineer.

Not surprised by that chart at all Ian. In fact, I'd probably argue that those numbers are even higher than what is reported. I know lots of people back home in the Greater Toronto Area that have essentially given up on owning a house. They've embraced the "living with the parents / renters for life" kind of a lifestyle.

Work with a guy whose culture is pre much to stay in the same home as your family or neighborhood, and the way he explained it, im not gonna lie, it seemed kinda great. His dad does some chores around the house, his mom does a bit of cooking and cleaning, and both his parents drop and pick his kids up from school and babysit while his wife can be a doctor, and he has time to be a full-time engineer.
Agreed, that doesn't sound bad at all.

In places where housing is affordable (surprised his wife can't even buy a place on a doctor's salary!), one could move out, buy their own place and still have their parents/inlaws move in afterward to help with kids, if that's what they wanted. In the GTA and other expensive markets, you're stuck with your childhood home and neighbourhood but in cheaper cities you have many more options, obviously.

When about....3 rule changes regarding property ownership in Canada finally get legislated because Millennials and GenZ actually demand it, we are in for the mother of all property value crashes in this country.

And though I'm an owner, I for one will welcome it.

Back