Prairie Sky Gondola | 76.2m | ?s | Prairie Sky | DIALOG

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
There's a lot more stations than I had understood. I initially thought there would only be three stations. I don't understand how this whole trip could be 10 minutes as they initially said. That'd be crazy!

Initially 3 was the plan, but they also mentioned at one point that they ultimately wanted the line to terminate at ATB Place/Telus house. I recall Triovest (ATB place owners) also saying they were potentially interested in having the Downtown station connected to ATB Place

"The group also has 40 letters of support promised or delivered, including from the Downtown Business Association, Old Strathcona Business Association, River Valley Alliance, French cable transport contractor LSD and local Triovest Realty Advisors, the landowner of ATB Place (including the former Telus Plaza).
“(Triovest’s) was a very succinct letter. It said we want this project and we want the station here in our plaza,”

Last edited:
If I recall correctly, the Whyte ave station was initially a block north, in the parking lot beside the farmers market. Glad they have the station now directly on Whyte (better visibility and feels more connected imo)

Nice visualizations of the route! Wow, five stations though? I thought that the ones at Whyte, Rossdale and Telus Plaza were enough but... okay.

I mean, my guess is that they could be banking on increased density levels around Saskatchewan Drive and the base of Bellamy hill in the future, which is why they placed additional stations in those areas.

Last edited:
If I recall correctly, the Whyte ave station was initially a block north, in the parking lot beside the farmers market. Glad they have the station now directly on Whyte (better visibility and feels more connected imo)
I really hope this project spurs something to life with that used car dealership on whyte and Gateway. It would be great if the dealership and the parking lot north of it were made into a well landscaped park similar to what is being proposed in the warehouse district downtown. There is a huge opportunity to create a central meeting area and mix up the urban fabric on whyte here.

@Airboy I don't think that there would be a continuous line going that far out, but I could definitely see a smaller one going up from Fort Ed to South Campus LRT station!

Permit Type Major Development Permit
Permit Class Class B
Permit Date May 05, 2020
Status Approved
Description of Development To operate a Special Event (guided information tours) with two Accessory temporary tents and one portable washroom from June 20, 2020 to August 30, 2020 and June 20, 2021 to August 30, 2021, in the existing Major Impact Utility Service building. (Rossdale Generating Power Plant - Prairie Sky Tours)
Address 10155 - 96 AVENUE NW

Guided information tours? Sounds like a promotional tent. Anybody check this out yet? I'm just imagining one of those windshield crack repair tents with brochures on a table.

Prairie Sky released more images yesterday that show the gondola route and locations of the stations & towers
View attachment 241751

I just noticed that one of the supports for this Gondola would be built on exactly the same plot of land that Dub is proposing this building on. http://www.dubarchitects.ca/bellamy-tower.html

Bellamy Hill.jpg

So, not sure who owns that land now, but I guess land acquisition would be another major hurdle for the Gondola group that could derail the entire thing anyway.

@Freedm I think it would pass just south of the site of Dub's Bellamy Tower:

1593294147468.png

That would make more sense to me given the linear greenspace the city owns between Bellamy and Rossdale Roads would be more than ideal to run the gondola along. That said, not sure how people living in the proposed tower would feel about the gondola passing so close.

Just FYI, I inquired about that Gondola special event permit and this is what they said:

Hello,

I’ve cc’d the tour operator. As it stands today the tours will commence on August 1st (maybe July 25th). All tickets will need to be bought online in advance. We will have a significant media blitz when that website goes live. Hope to see you at the power plant in a few short weeks!
~
Jeffrey Hansen-Carlson MBA
President and CEO
E: hello@prairieskygondola.com
W:
www.prairieskygondola.com

Back