Prairie Sky Gondola | 76.2m | ?s | Prairie Sky | DIALOG

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 9.51.49 AM.png

Anne Stevenson was a senior planner with the City and my political analyst friend calls her "an establishment" councillor as much as anybody elected. It might be a bit early to categorize her however here is her response on the Gondola.

Note: I told her I would be sharing her response on this site:

"I'm pleased that Prairie Sky Gondola is exploring the feasibility of this project and can see it having a number of benefits for our community. For me the major appeal of the gondola project is the potential for a direct Downtown / Whyte Avenue connection as it’s currently inconvenient to travel between these two areas by transit, and any new bridge crossings would be incredibly disruptive to our river valley. As the project details unfold, there are a number of criteria that I would be looking at to determine whether or not I would support the project moving ahead, including:

Financial feasibility, with no cost to the City

Robust safeguards to avoid any infrastructure becoming a liability to the City

Ensuring minimal disruption to the river valley, including ensuring that:footings and stations are located in existing road right of ways and that no naturalized areas are disturbed

there is no excessive noise or light pollution that would disturb wildlife

Archeological, burial, and culturally significant sites are not impacted."
I think this is a reasonable enough response--as long as there's some degree of flexibility in her criteria.. Like any negotiation, lay out your top points of desire first, and let them be worked down in compromise from there.

Overall though, what an exciting project. Absolutely love to see it. Cannot wait to see all the complaining boomers do (no offence to any of our hexagenerian and further life robust users) in regard to this project--should be hilarious.

It was a tongue-in-cheek barb, but realistically in my anecdotal experience, a large portion of complaining relating to change in the city comes from a particular age demographic.

That being said, I do recognize that was inappropriate and not a fair comment.

It was a tongue-in-cheek barb, but realistically in my anecdotal experience, a large portion of complaining relating to change in the city comes from a particular age demographic.

That being said, I do recognize that was inappropriate and not a fair comment.
You should check out Bill Mahers latest...

Man, this will be such an amazing stretch of Whyte Ave in just a few years! Between the Gondola terminus just north of the public washrooms, and the streetcar right next to it (in a few decades hopefully along with a new ERRS museum building where the used car lot currently is). It will become one of the most unique, photogenic, and well trafficed stretches of land here :)

Prairie Sky now expects the ropeway system to be operating in 2025.

Edmonton city council voted 8-5 in February to give the privately funded project a green light.

However, the top items on the company's to-do list are big: it needs to finish and get city council approval for both real estate negotiations and the rezoning of 41 parcels of land. The latter process consists of public and Indigenous consultation. A river valley bylaw also has yet to be approved by city council.

Prairie Sky Gondola
299 followers
14h • 14 hours ago
Doppelmayr visited Prairie Sky Gondola team last week.

It was a real honour to host Sebi Lueoend from Doppelmayr - Garaventa Company Official head office in Switzerland as well as Doppelmayr Canada's CEO Luc Guy and Brent Carmichael from the Doppelmayr Kelowna team.

It took us two hours to walk the 2.5 km alignment, showing Doppelmayr where all the stations would be and which communities would be involved.

EDMONTON – CABLE CAR FOR RESIDENTS AND TOURISTS​

A cable car that relieves the strain on the road network, helps commuters, revitalises the city centre, attracts tourists and recognises the indigenous culture: this is the aspiration of Prairie Sky Gondola in Edmonton. The project is at an advanced stage, and the cable car should be in place by 2025.

TAMARA MAIR​

3. February 2022
Whats the next steps on this? The 42 site leases getting approved?

Back