Polykar Production Facility | ?m | 3s | Polykar Industries | FarMor Architecture

What do you think of this project?

• I dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

KyleBlanchett

Member Bio
Reaction score
Polykar, a Quebec plastics and compostable bags company, will be building a 50,000 sq ft manufacturing facility on 3 acres they purchased in the Discovery Business Park in South Edmonton - to be ready in 2021

Permit Type Major Development Permit
Permit Class Class A
Permit Date Jan 23, 2020
Status Approved
Description of Development To construct an Industrial, Light building. (Polykar)
Address 9406 - 130 STREET SW

The recent Apollo Masters fire in California spells a great opportunity for petrochemical companies like Polykar to diversify their offerings. How cool would it be if the new Edmonton facility became the leading supplier of blank lacquers for vinyl record mastering in North America?

@.crystalised. you are hitting on a favorite subject of mine -- the need for the Alberta economy to rapidly transition to an end-product producing manufacturer of goods (and services). And your grasp here of the need and opportunity is just one good example of this. There is a dramatic resurgence in the demand for vinyl LPs (especially from purist audiophiles) and having so many masters' lacquers produced in one location in Banning -- in hindsight -- was a tragic oversight in the industry (I bet without much effort we could name dozens more industries that are likewise vulnerable). Excellent find and a well-thought-out observation!
???

@.crystalised. you are hitting on a favorite subject of mine -- the need for the Alberta economy to rapidly transition to an end-product producing manufacturer of goods (and services). And your grasp here of the need and opportunity is just one good example of this. There is a dramatic resurgence in the demand for vinyl LPs (especially from purist audiophiles) and having so many masters' lacquers produced in one location in Banning -- in hindsight -- was a tragic oversight in the industry (I bet without much effort we could name dozens more industries that are likewise vulnerable). Excellent find and a well-thought-out observation!
???
Thanks! Now we just have to get the word to Polykar and to city council somehow. Perhaps council could incentivize Polykar to diversify into this field by offering some kind of conditional tax break for coming to Edmonton (the same way the City had for Dell when they opened a call centre here in 2006).

Back