What do you think of this project?

• I dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Website has been updated with some photos and floorplans:

https://peakresidences.ca/

Some of the floorplans are a bit weird, as expected with an office conversion. The most alarming is Jasper, it seems to have no windows?? Is that legal?
I have a tough time believing that there's no windows but that's what it looks like in the floor plan. If that is somehow legal I still couldn't see anyone wanting to rent it unless rent was incredibly cheap.

Website has been updated with some photos and floorplans:

https://peakresidences.ca/

Some of the floorplans are a bit weird, as expected with an office conversion. The most alarming is Jasper, it seems to have no windows?? Is that legal?

I initially thought: "no, that isn't legal", but the window requirement under the Minimum Housing and Health Standards contains various exceptions, particularly for taller buildings.

3(b) Emergency Egress
(i) For buildings of 3 storeys or less and except where a bedroom door provides access directly to the exterior or the suite is sprinklered, each bedroom shall have at least one outside window which may be opened from the inside without the use of tools or special knowledge.
(ii) Windows referred to in section 3(b)(i) shall provide unobstructed openings with areas not less than 0.35 m2 (3.8ft2), with no dimension less than 380 mm (15”).
(iii) If the window referred in section 3(b)(i) is provided with security bars, the security bars shall be installed so they may be opened from the inside without the use of any tools or special knowledge.
(iv) Notwithstanding section 3(b)(i), (ii) and (iii), alternate provisions for emergency egress may be approved by an executive officer where, after consultation with a safety codes officer, the executive officer is satisfied that the alternate provisions provide for means of emergency egress.

I do like how creative they have to get with floor plans in these office conversions. Below is a pretty cool floor plan that definitely has some... quirks but overall is pretty fantastic IMO

One bedroom has the ensuite bathroom, but virtually no closet space, and has a column support making the top right of the room weird dead space (maybe enough space for a small clothes drawer?) + gives almost no room to walk around that side of a queen size bed.

The other bedroom shows a king size bed, and spectacular glass views + a decent sized closet. So I guess that is the tradeoff you make with your roommate: either you get the room with the wicked views that can fit a king sized bed and actually has closet space, or you get your own private bathroom.

Kitchen has a great island, but I don't really understand why they limited the counter space next to the fridge and stove top, and there appears to be very little built in pantry/food space, but a lot of unused space where that plant is placed. Why not put a pantry next to the fridge?

Views from the kitchen and living room are also spectacular and the natural light in one of these suites would be nearly unbeatable for what I assume with be around a $2500 price range

Lastly, if someone leaves the laundry door open and someone comes in the front door, they'll swing the door into the laundry door... lol

JUNIPER.png

It's a good example of why conversions from office to residential are often not ideal.

Almost all of them have issues like this from my visits to conversions from the 90s/early 2000s.

Back