Oliver Crossing | 21m | 7s

Cranes were swinging pretty good tonight.
4A2EA16E-D22F-4DDC-AE30-1322A269EFEC.jpeg

Can anyone with precast experience explain those interior corridor walls? Is it a load-bearing steel wall assembly that supports the floor system above?

The only other precast residential building I've seen going up was Belgravia Square, and it was a much more typical steel & precast design.

Can anyone with precast experience explain those interior corridor walls? Is it a load-bearing steel wall assembly that supports the floor system above?

The only other precast residential building I've seen going up was Belgravia Square, and it was a much more typical steel & precast design.
I don’t have any precast design experience, but it appears the precast floor panels span between the exterior walls and those interior stud walls. At the North end of the building you can see they’ve only erected one line of the corridor wall where the panels are only spanning in that direction on one side. Seems like a pretty straight forward system.

Hello everyone! I never knew a site like this existed until now! I live right beside this place (you choose which side) and I’ve got to say this construction has been annoying, but in a fast manner.
The alarm. They have a super fancy alarm system (I’m sure designed for squatters) that goes off when someone get very close to the site. When this thing goes off it sounds like there’s someone breaking out of jail. Full out sirens, “You are trespassing, this area is under video surveillance, leave the premises immediately.”
April 13th Update
They started to put up the fourth floor walls. Construction has been starting at 6:45AM, ending at 7-7:30PM. They’ve went as late as 9:30PM but only a dozen times throughout the months. They’ve also worked 6 days a week a lot of the time.

Feel free to ask any questions!

Hello everyone! I never knew a site like this existed until now! I live right beside this place (you choose which side) and I’ve got to say this construction has been annoying, but in a fast manner.
The alarm. They have a super fancy alarm system (I’m sure designed for squatters) that goes off when someone get very close to the site. When this thing goes off it sounds like there’s someone breaking out of jail. Full out sirens, “You are trespassing, this area is under video surveillance, leave the premises immediately.”
April 13th Update
They started to put up the fourth floor walls. Construction has been starting at 6:45AM, ending at 7-7:30PM. They’ve went as late as 9:30PM but only a dozen times throughout the months. They’ve also worked 6 days a week a lot of the time.

Feel free to ask any questions!
Welcome to the forum!

Wowzers, that's some really hard-ass alarm 🤣 I wonder if prisons were also where they took the ideas for building design though.

Also, I love the intensive, quick work. Now we only need a few more dozens of these in other central neighborhoods to pop up and we'll be filling up the missing middle pretty quickly.

those are going to be quite small units. If you look at the photo and assume the unit's front door opening is 3' wide, then counting the slabs door to door is just 15' Each unit then will be under 500 sf; possibly even less than 400 sf.
Well if they are looking at the student market, they definitely got a great location for that. For that matter then something like this maybe with some CRU's right behind MacEwan would be nice.

those are going to be quite small units. If you look at the photo and assume the unit's front door opening is 3' wide, then counting the slabs door to door is just 15' Each unit then will be under 500 sf; possibly even less than 400 sf.
Interesting - this size seems to be the new standard in Toronto and other places. Will help some of the older 700sq ft 1 bedrooms in Edmonton seem more attractive I think.

Back