Oliver Crossing | 21m | 7s

If that's the case, I'm not really sure what the issue is with creating extreme incentives to build places like this.

It would be nice, but it's basically politically unviable. 60-70% of Edmontonians live in homes that would have a significant increase in taxes if they actually paid for the cost of their infrastructure. At this point, making people pay for what they use is a sure way to lose the next election.
Sad, but true. I wish I had enough political capital to run for office. All I'd want is ONE term, do the things that need to be done without worrying about reelection.

“The grant leveraged approximately $24 of private investment for every $1 allocated, a total of $22.9 million in funding. As a result of the program, 10 projects worth $551 million in construction began, creating 4,050 jobs, 2,341 residential units and 78,000 square feet of commercial space in and around downtown.”

Should we just keep doing incentives like this? Or what might be a reason not to? Seems like a home run. How much do we spend on this to save millions more long term if safety and vibrancy increase?
I'm a proponent for incentives *if* they are used properly - e.g. a means to encourage more private sector investment in a specific area that the City wants to enhance/redevelop or achieve a specific city-building goal. The municipality has to identify a need that ultimately provides a benefit to the public.

For Sale as of 6 days ago. This along with the lot behind the Safeway off 122nd. Wowzers! Sounds like our housing situation is “getting the attention of the power brokers in TO,” sounds like something Ian would say?

For Sale as of 6 days ago. This along with the lot behind the Safeway off 122nd. Wowzers! Sounds like our housing situation is “getting the attention of the power brokers in TO,” sounds like something Ian would say?
Maybe its just me as I am not someone who needs or craves a lot of external validation, but I think we need to work on making our own success here and not rely on others in a large, but far away city.

HCOL?

Remember the craze for Lamb from Toronto? Locals are still building while he has not been heard off since the long ago proposal of 'Jasper House's.

High cost of living. Anecdotally I just got back from helping a friend move back to Edmonton from Calgary and he's said that rent has just spiked there in part because people are trying to escape the high rents in the GTA/GVA. Wouldn't surprise me if the demand calculation has changed here too.

Average one bedroom is now $3000 a month in Vancouver 😬

High cost of living. Anecdotally I just got back from helping a friend move back to Edmonton from Calgary and he's said that rent has just spiked there in part because people are trying to escape the high rents in the GTA/GVA. Wouldn't surprise me if the demand calculation has changed here too.

Average one bedroom is now $3000 a month in Vancouver 😬

Shockingly expensive. For the past year I've seen more and more BC licence plates here. We've been predicting a pretty big shift in the Edmonton market for a little while - it looks like its finally happening.

Do you have a link to the For Sale ad? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Do you have a link to For Sale ad?
It was on LinkedIn, I’ll try to see if it is still kicking around.
IMG_1518.png

Last edited:
It's a great building that was well executed. The developers deserve success.

I know it's not as flashy as MB, and it caught some hate on here, but I've stayed in this building as a guest. It's a good place to live, and the construction method makes it very quiet. I'd never rent in a wood framed building again after being in this one.

We should be hoping that this is replicated with some CRUs elsewhere in Oliver.

I'll say as well that, walking down 111 st going North, Sync along with Allard Hall creates a nice mid-density vibe on that block that I'd like to see expanded more North of 104th.

Back