News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Miscellaneous

Does anyone know anything about this? This is all that is left of the building on 112 street north of 105 ave (north of the Park Ave apartments just finishing up now, a block or two west of Macewan) that used to be an Atco(?) service yard (if i remember correctly). This bad boy here. I mean, it was pretty obvious that it was going to go away, but i'm wondering if there is any actual plan for the site? has any developer bought it, is Atco or whoever going to build a new facility there, is it just going to sit as a monument to the evacuation of industry out of the centre city and out of the collective minds of the populace? idk. the section of 105 ave directly to the south of the site is where the 'urban plaza' or whatever its called where the carspace was going to go away and the roadway pedestrianized for a block. I don't know if that ties into this at all though.
Anyways, here's a couple photos. I was very sad/dissapointed to see that none of the very clean face brick or limestone was saved. it was also interesting to see inside the walls, and the almost complete lack of insulation. I guess they had free gas to heat the place with.
IMG_0418.JPG
IMG_0416.JPG

Canbian started digging a few weeks ago, and they also have a site office set up. Here are some pictures I took today.
View attachment 298905View attachment 298900View attachment 298904View attachment 298903View attachment 298902View attachment 298901

EDIT: I found the project's page on Canbian's website. It has the incorrect street listed in the project description, but it is in the right spot on the map.

"The Duke Building is a two story infill commercial building on 109 Street and 74 Avenue in Edmonton. The main floor is 6,500 SF and will accomodate four retail bays. The main entrance is constructed as a two story lobby with access to the 6,000 SF second floor office suites. The buildings structure is comprised of a concrete structural slab, structural steel skeleton with metal floor and roof deck and exterior steel stud walls. Exterior finishes include brick veneer, EIFS, Aluminum windows and Apolic Metal Panels. Roofing is a mix of SBS roofing for the main and standing seam roof for office tower portions. Site work of paving, concrete sidewalks and landscaping."
View attachment 298908View attachment 298907View attachment 298906
They're working hard on this project; I took these pictures today.
20210222_121858.jpg
20210222_121917.jpg
20210222_121953.jpg

Does anyone know what is going on at the Louisiana Purchase parking lot on 111 street north of 103 ave.? Heavy duty drilling rig and excavator in the parking lot.

Major Development Permit
Job No 386491616-002: To construct a 222 Dwelling Apartment House building with an Above Ground Parkade, an Underground Parkade, a main floor Specialty Food Service Use, and to demolish the existing onsite buildings.
10304 - 111 STREET NW Plan B4 Blk 11 Lots 126-132
GARDNER ARCHITECTURE INCORPORATED
OLIVER

Couldn't find much else but there must be a thread?

Major Development Permit
Job No 386491616-002: To construct a 222 Dwelling Apartment House building with an Above Ground Parkade, an Underground Parkade, a main floor Specialty Food Service Use, and to demolish the existing onsite buildings.
OLIVER

Good find! I checked the map, and I don't think there's a thread yet? I might have missed it though.

Major Development Permit
OLIVER

This means Indian Fusion is gone then. Damn. But good for the lot. Wonder if it will take up the whole space to 104.

The Alberta Lung Association purchased all of those properties recently.
There's a sign on site now advertising this:

Edit: Omg... I didn’t see that there was a post about it a few posts before mine. Lol

I’m not sure if there’s possibly a thread about it already, but is there any info about privé/Louisiana purchase site. Supposedly Louisiana purchase and the Indian restaurant moved out yesterday and there’s a backhoe on site. Rumour from someone in the building across the street said it’s gonna be 14 stories but I can’t find anything but this...9A991685-3AF2-4537-937B-6EC83C9E026D.png

@Whyte, I inquired at Breathing Space, waiting for a reply. Very curious also if their Westend office (Alberta Lung Association) will be relocating to Oliver and include the mysterious apartment house (222units/12 stories).
Would be very innovative if this all happens!
Looks like their website hasn't been updated for about a year though, no info there.
1614108823369.png

• The Lung Association’s Breathing Space will be the first facility of its kind in Canada.
  • Financial stress on families is tremendous and some choose death over financial ruin.
  • Edmonton's transplant program is ranked 2nd in Canada and 6th in the world.
  • One in 5 Albertans and one in 5 Canadians are living with lung disease.
  • 77% of transplant patients live outside Edmonton and surrounding areas.
  • Patients experience a significant amount of stressors causing their mental health to be at risk.

That rendering is not 14 floors no way there are 220 units and isn even close to a hospital. Unlikely to be built on this site.

Back