News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Miscellaneous

Love that new plaza! I have to visit with family and/or friends sometime soon.

A cool little project I stumbled across yesterday - 111 St and University Ave.
111St_University Ave.JPG

Without any details on what that is or level of completion, I suspect that this is one of StyleLab's "transitional" projects rather than a new infill. I'm not a huge fan of the aesthetics of this particular existing structure, but I do believe that brick houses need to be retained in all of their integrity, especially when such houses become rarer and rarer. By the looks of it it may have already been completed too.

Does anyone know by any chance whats being built just across from the theatre at manning town center? rec room?

One of these two?

Reference ID: Job No 347399158-002
Description: To construct a 2 Storey Restaurant Use building with 922 m2 of inside and outside Public Space (Canadian Brewhouse).
Plan 1223987 Blk 3 Lot 5
Applicant: CAMERON CORPORATION
Create Date: 11/21/2019 2:01:10 PM
Neighbourhood: GORMAN

Reference ID: Job No 357320259-002
Description: To construct a Convenience Retail Store building, a Rapid Drive-through Vehicle Service building, and a Gas Bar.
Plan 1223987 Blk 3 Lot 5
Applicant: CAMERON CORPORATION
Create Date: 3/11/2020 9:03:26 AM
Neighbourhood: GORMAN

The Province is completely removing the incredible 'living wall' in the Federal Building due to its maintenance cost of $70k/yr. This was not simply a 'nice to have' display, but part of the building system. This is incredibly disappointing for more than a few reasons.

I'd be curious to know if their mech/hvac/elec 'upgrades' also impact their LEED Gold status...

More:

----

Add it to the list:

No skating rink on the north plaza
No Restaurant/lounge on the SWC
No Cafe
No gift store supporting local artists and designers

***I could not find an original thread on this project***

UCP FTW

Someone within the party probably got a $70K bonus for coming up with this genius cost-saving strategy.

You got the math wrong. $70k in savings equates to $200k towards a tax break/bonus/war room/consultant position/advisory panel that just so happens to have only those with a monetary stake in the decisions they make, and no actual stakeholders*

*pick and choose at your discretion. Subject to a $2000 donation to the UCP MLA nearest you, or hosting of a fancy dinner party if you're a car dealership. No terms or conditions apply.

I imagine the cut came through Infrastructure (the ministry).

While the wall in question is nice, there are better things to spend $70k on in our current fiscal environment. Sure, it sucks that the Federal building doesn't have x, y, or z, but at the end of the day, this cut is an easier argument to make as far as cuts go than many other things on the table.

Anyway, it'd be nice if political conversations could take place in the politics area - in particular, political ad lib doesn't really add to the conversation on development, especially when people likely have dissenting/diverging political views.

The Province is completely removing the incredible 'living wall' in the Federal Building due to its maintenance cost of $70k/yr. This was not simply a 'nice to have' display, but part of the building system. This is incredibly disappointing for more than a few reasons.

I'd be curious to know if their mech/hvac/elec 'upgrades' also impact their LEED Gold status...

More:

----

Add it to the list:

No skating rink on the north plaza
No Restaurant/lounge on the SWC
No Cafe
No gift store supporting local artists and designers

***I could not find an original thread on this project***
Does the Province administer the Federal Building? I would have though that would be the Federal Govt. I seem to remember someone telling me the Feds didn't own the building any more.

You got the math wrong. $70k in savings equates to $200k towards a tax break/bonus/war room/consultant position/advisory panel that just so happens to have only those with a monetary stake in the decisions they make, and no actual stakeholders*

*pick and choose at your discretion. Subject to a $2000 donation to the UCP MLA nearest you, or hosting of a fancy dinner party if you're a car dealership. No terms or conditions apply.
Building is privately owned. Feds sold it off years ago according to the interweb.

Building is privately owned. Feds sold it off years ago according to the interweb.
yup, I think the province owns it, at the very least occupies and maintains it. On top of the building is the infamous 'Sky Palace' from about 2013. When the province (under Redford and preceding premiers) renovated it, they went whole-hog, putting in a lot of extravagant extras that maybe didn't need to be there. tbh i'm sad about Alberta Branded, but there are/were a lot of things with this that didn't need to be as expensive as they were.

Back