News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Miscellaneous

20200528_191556.jpg

Stumbled upon this on 106 St & 102 ave. Facade updates for this building next door to the upcoming Central Warehouse District Park

Last edited:
I hope there's a plan to replace these two buildings and not leave this corner as an empty lot? :confused:

Permit Type Major Development Permit
Permit Class Class A
Permit Date Jun 11, 2020
Status Approved
Description of Development To Demolish a Commercial Building
Address 10210 - 142 STREET NW

Permit Class Class A
Permit Date Jun 12, 2020
Status Approved
Address 14210 - STONY PLAIN ROAD NW

1592081557939.png

A bunch of sizable buildings coming to North Glenora:

Reference ID: Job No 364559440-002
Description: To construct a 36 Dwelling Multi-unit Housing (apartment) building (Building A).
Plan 3624HW Blk 7 Lot 41
Applicant: DER & ASSOCIATES ARCHITECTURE LTD.
Create Date: 6/9/2020 3:51:03 PM
Neighbourhood: NORTH GLENORA

Reference ID: Job No 364569949-002
Description: To construct a 36 Dwelling Multi-unit Housing (apartment) building (Building B).
Plan 3624HW Blk 5 Lot 41
Create Date: 6/9/2020 4:58:35 PM

Reference ID: Job No 364571225-002
Description: To construct a 36 Dwelling Multi-unit Housing (apartment) building (Building C).
Plan 3751HW Blk 1 Lots 16-18,47-49
Create Date: 6/9/2020 5:06:07 PM

Reference ID: Job No 364572485-002
Description: To construct a 42 Dwelling Multi-unit Housing (apartment) building (Building D).
Plan 3751HW Blk 1 Lots 16-18,47-49
Create Date: 6/9/2020 5:24:07 PM

Last edited:
^While it's nice to see some new development going up in the area, call me a pessimist. With them being DER designs I wouldn't hold out much hope for anything great. It's also worth noting that they'll be replacing the Wallbridge & Imrie designed Glenora Patio Homes, a group of buildings listed on the City's Inventory of Historic Resources.

I hope there's a plan to replace these two buildings and not leave this corner as an empty lot? :confused:

Permit Class Class A
Permit Date Jun 11, 2020
Status Approved
Address 10210 - 142 STREET NW

Permit Class Class A
Permit Date Jun 12, 2020
Status Approved
Address 14210 - STONY PLAIN ROAD NW

View attachment 251331
Aren't these buildings directly in the path of the Valley Line West LRT? I remember there were a set of businesses somewhere along here bought out because the line veers to the north of Stony Plain Road at this intersection.

@_Citizen_Dane_ Oh. my. GOD! First of all, those decrepit ass, rotten ass, turned pee-coloured stucco ass townhomes are a historical resource?? I'd get it if they were actually preserved well and maintained over the years but COME ON, one big breeze and those things will fall over at this point. Oh yeah also, WOOOOOOOH PARTY TIME!! As a resident of that area, believe me when I say that I dreamt of the day those things would be gone, and by the looks of it that may actually happen within my lifetime!

In all seriousness though, I understand that the homes do have some historical value behind them, and they definitely come from a time when modern design was in its earliest stages (plus I appreciate the significance of being designed by a female-owned firm for the time period), but instead to being taken care of and preserved for the future, they wasted away for many years and are now a shadow of their former selves beyond repair.

Last edited:
First of all, those decrepit ass, rotten ass, turned pee-coloured stucco ass townhomes are a historical resource??

They’re on the Inventory, which just means the City considers them worthy of potentially designating and protecting at some point, if the owners wanted to (which in this case they obviously don’t).

I often worry that my love of heritage buildings clouds my judgment and makes me come across as anti-development, because in truth I’m about as far from that as you can get. Unlike a lot of heritage advocate types I do recognize the need for the city to grow, densify, modernize, etc. So with that said, I’m not going to stand here and say they need to be saved. There’s better designs out there by the trendsetting firm — the Queen Mary Apartments at 11011-16 109th Avenue are a good example — and in the grand scheme of things they are a fairly ubiquitous example of early ‘50s apartment housing. I also fully get your position too as a community member.

However, I will stand by my oft repeated mantra: “If you’re going to replace something historic, make it a worthy replacement.” Sadly, I have my reservations that DER is capable of achieving that.

Last edited:
@_Citizen_Dane_ Well said, and you don't come across and anti-development at all to me. I think we should all have a collective interest in historical buildings and their preservation here in the city, as they're the only tangible pieces of the city's history left (not counting photographs as "tangible", in the sense that you can actually interact with real buildings). However I think there is a threshold where the positive impact of a new development outweighs the historical value and/or aesthetic, such as with this case. I hope too that, with consultation with our community (obviously), DER can make good-looking multi family buildings that fit our neighborhood's scale nicely ☺. Also, sorry for the strong reaction at the start, you guys just don't understand the pain of having to live by those things for 10 years now and see them almost every day in their state, and to here that they may actually be gone makes me literally jump for joy!

Also side note, we've got some absolute BOOMERS over the city at the moment. Stay indoors and stay safe kids ⛈⛈⛈☔

I wish we had a commercial district with the above theme, like Fort Edmonton Park.
@ronron I have often thought that the western portion of Alberta Avenue from NAIT to Northlands would be an ideal "Main Street" to exercise just such a district concept. I had dabbled with the idea before and I now think that I will put just such a theme street concept together. There are lots of existing buildings that already have the requisite architectural texture (take note @Kaizen) and there are many more that could be modified in a storefront program to fit the mode. I invite all SkyriseCities afficionados to participate in what could be a fun and engaging exercise. I would remove autos from the street turning it primarily into a pedestrian outdoor mall, ultimately get the City engaged in rezoning the blocks immediately north and south of 118 to allow for a specialized area zone honoring the historic "Prairie Style". There are lots of empty infill lots along the way. I would make 119th Avenue one way heading west (two auto traffic lanes plus a bicycle lane plus a "parkway" walking/jogging lane, separated safely one from the other) and 117th Avenue one way heading east, thereby framing in the new district. I would create pedestrian/transit overpasses at 97th Street and 82nd Street; and in that mode create a surface two-way LSM-propelled transit corridor as part of the 118 avenue experience.
Textural items that would work for street furniture and street materials include expanded boardwalk expanses with alternating wood materials -- bleached Teak, natural Teak, natural Redwood, Tamarack, and shu sugi ban treated hardwood; decomposed granite replacing surface asphalt and concrete for the main body of the street; vintage pedestrian-scale street-lamps and benches; sidewalk fabric awnings; restored farm and ranch appliances and machinery; prairie-themed plantings.
We could reconstruct some of those buildings that bit the dust over the years from Edmonton's past filling in the empty lots.
Ideas welcome! We could put a Pinterest-like assemblage together under a separate Skyrise heading.
Like @_Citizen_Dane_'s Lego efforts this could be a rewarding exercise in itself whether it reaches actuality or not.

@Kaizen Well, the former museum does have a multi-level underground archive with old artifacts and documents, so you never know...

Fun Fact: If you walk on the west side of that carriage-house type building on the other side of the parking lot, you can get a view of the massive ventilation fan for the underground facility in the river valley 😀

^Speaking of the old museum, this document was recently issued. With ninety-five percent of respondents saying they want it saved and repurposed, it'll be interesting to see what the Province decides to do with it. The accompanying webpage says a total of fifty million is needed to address its deferred maintenance, and while not inconsequential, that seems like a reasonable cost for restoring such a beloved building.

In my completely unsurprising opinion, I think they should just commit to it. Government House, the grounds, and the aforementioned Carriage House are all already Provincial Historic Resources, and the museum was the entire province's Centennial gift. Even putting aside that or its great architecture, the case for its place within the city and province's collective conscience is probably the strongest of any building in Alberta.

Back