News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Miscellaneous

This EPCOR substation at 118 Ave and 97 Street is being converted into commercial uses:

Screenshot 2020-02-14 at 12.00.04 PM.png

^ Another great site for mixed use development. I bet Beljan would know what to do with it.

They can start by removing all the peeling paint from the brick
Ohhhh I'm sure we'd be able to figure something out with that building :)

Haven't been in there in a while, but something similar to Markthal from Rotterdam would be amazing here. Probably not an easy thing to pull off here though

As was I. They've had a sign up with renderings for quite a while now. Good to see as this will breathe new life into that intersection

Looks like Irie Foods (Jamaican / Caribbean cuisine) is moving or opening a new location in Crossroads:

Reference ID: Job No 355037832-002
Description: To construct interior alterations (24.87 m² mezzanine) and to change the Use from a Bar and Neighbourhood Pub to a Specialty Food Service (Irie Foods).
Plan 3942MC Blk 8 Lot 179
Applicant: RICKETTS, KIRK
Create Date: 2/14/2020 12:15:58 PM
Neighbourhood: CENTRAL MCDOUGALL

Toll building. There has to be a certain point where the word "temporary" means about as much here as saying the universe itself is "temporary" until heat-death.
What is going on with the Toll building? Do they have a single contractor working part-time evenings and weekends? Or a janitor moonlighting as a GC? Apparently the crane has become a permanent feature of the structure. In the time since this project started, the whole building could've been demolished and we'd be on floors 15-20 of a rebuild by now. /rant off

Last edited:
Seeing double again, what's going on here...|
Snowy Sunday Downtown afternoon 2020-03-07 057.JPG

My fav Modern Century Place is getting updated HVC, crane up for a couple more days I was told.
Snowy Sunday Downtown afternoon 2020-03-07 007.JPG

* It's too bad that a much smaller version of this mobile crane couldn't have worked at the Roxy site. I imagine that site constrictions/regulations called for that luffing jib. A forklift, scaffolding, a few tall dudes on stilts, could have worked, no?*

The Drake on 118 Ave set to be demolished:

Permit Type Major Development Permit
Permit Class Class A
Permit Date Mar 16, 2020
Status Approved
Description of Development To Demolish an Existing Hotel (Drake Hotel).
Address 3945 - 118 AVENUE NW

I was about to be concerned, but then did a quick lookup and found it was only built in the 1950s and really doesn't hold much historical value (unlike other hotels that share the name).

1584459888539.png

The Drake on 118 Ave set to be demolished:

Permit Type Major Development Permit
Permit Class Class A
Permit Date Mar 16, 2020
Status Approved
Description of Development To Demolish an Existing Hotel (Drake Hotel).
Address 3945 - 118 AVENUE NW

I was about to be concerned, but then did a quick lookup and found it was only built in the 1950s and really doesn't hold much historical value (unlike other hotels that share the name).

View attachment 236798

I'm in Beverly often because my Baba still lives there. My Gido used to stop there after work for a wobbly pop or 2 in the lounge. I've never been inside there myself, but it will be sad to see this go as it's a bit of a landmark in Olde Towne Beverly. It will definitely be strange not seeing The Drake on that corner

Last edited:

Back