Michener Park Redevelopment | ?m | ?s

I was in this tower back in the eighties when it was still relatively new. I had a friend from elementary school (grade 4) living there with his parents. The thing I remember most was the floor to ceiling glass in the living room area, and the views. Coming from life in a bungalow, to hanging out at my friends house in a tower had a big impression on me. I think this is why I love architecture and urban development to this day.:)

Rezoning for Michener Park going to EDC on May 3, 2022.

From the EDC presentation package:

Michener Park presents a unique opportunity for thoughtful and complete redevelopment of a
strategically located site that complements that character and existing built form of surrounding
communities. The concept provides a range of residential built forms that can accommodate a
diverse population of new residents, integrates commercial and retail opportunities to support both
residents and the surrounding community, and is connected through an internal street and path
network that supports all modes of transportation. Michener Park, when fully redeveloped, will
exemplify high-quality urban design, establish a unique community character, and exemplify smart
growth principles.

The land use concept envisions the creation of a unique and engaging mixed-use development with
a diversity of complementary land uses and activities, arranged in a compact form where the needs
of daily life can be met within a convenient walking distance. Five (5) major land use categories have
been identified: medium-density residential (rowhouse), medium-density residential, high density
residential, mixed-use, commercial, and open space. These land uses would be implemented
through the use of standard zones (RF5, RA7, RA8, CB2, PU, and AP). These zones are regularly
applied in high quality projects across Edmonton.

This mix of land uses will support the creation of a vibrant residential and commercial area that
is aligned with the City Plan vision for Secondary Corridors. When complete, it is anticipated
that Michener Park will include approximately 900 to 1300 residential units. With an anticipated
residential density range of 69 to 100 du/ha, this proposal will meet the City Plan target of minimum
75 people and/or jobs per hectare at Secondary Corridors while also contributing to the City Plan
target of 50% of new units added through infill city wide.

1650818704239.png

If I had my way they would add a little spur line from South Campus station and have the line that current ends at Health Sciences terminate here.

A simple 12 person (think senior centre) shuttle bus on regular rotation could work for them and the area.

For some reason Edmonton is about $200,000,000/km for LRT... a bus will work fine for this situation.

For some reason Edmonton is about $200,000,000/km for LRT... a bus will work fine for this situation.
it's literally a half a km through a field. You could literally have another Century Park here if done right... but yeah let's have a 12 person minibus and wait until the empty field is developed before we think a little bigger.

Might be an opportunity for the U of A (with their lands in the area), the City and the province to work together. Currently and empty field but could be come options for housing, university expansion, development (read, income taxes for the city), etc. But it would require vision, so perhaps you are right to say a 12 person minibus will be just fine.

it's literally a half a km through a field. You could literally have another Century Park here if done right... but yeah let's have a 12 person minibus and wait until the empty field is developed before we think a little bigger.
The best thing to do is move one step at a time and stay the course of what is currently planned. We are well spread out with too few populations that it will come back to haunt us in 20 years when repairs and maintenance requires some major overhauls. What you had to say has me salivating, but, when we keep adding projects and thinning out attentiveness to current constructions, it takes the focus away from what we can barely handle in the moment- financially and physically; case in point, just look at the Milwoods line. Our city's administrations are not the brightest as they have demonstrated one disaster after another over the last decade. Further to this, to establish all that will be required to build 1/2 kilometre of tracks would be quite irresponsible not to mention unfeasible from the economic angle.

The best thing to do is move one step at a time and stay the course of what is currently planned. We are well spread out with too few populations that it will come back to haunt us in 20 years when repairs and maintenance requires some major overhauls. What you had to say has me salivating, but, when we keep adding projects and thinning out attentiveness to current constructions, it takes the focus away from what we can barely handle in the moment- financially and physically; case in point, just look at the Milwoods line. Our city's administrations are not the brightest as they have demonstrated one disaster after another over the last decade. Further to this, to establish all that will be required to build 1/2 kilometre of tracks would be quite irresponsible not to mention unfeasible from the economic angle.
I don't disagree, really. I wasn't thinking something that should happen right away. The problem is we don't generally plan ahead very well so when the time does come it's often more expensive - or entirely impossible - due to a lack of prerequisite planning. Gotta think bigger, earlier.

If I had my way they would add a little spur line from South Campus station and have the line that current ends at Health Sciences terminate here.
If I recall correctly, the reason they ended the NAIT line at Health Sciences was that the at-grade crossing on University Ave would struggle with the added trains. Still can't believe they didn't grade-separate that one from the start.

If I recall correctly, the reason they ended the NAIT line at Health Sciences was that the at-grade crossing on University Ave would struggle with the added trains. Still can't believe they didn't grade-separate that one from the start.
Even more interesting is how the Metro Line ran to Century Park for about seven years before they pulled the plug on that. But also a good point about how brutal the University Ave crossing planning was—the volume of traffic going through there just from SWers trying to get to downtown alone is substantial.

Back