News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton METS Plan (1969 Historical Freeway Plan)

Traffic circles will not be able to handle rush hour traffic on that intersection and there is no space to make the circle.
A decently sized traffic circle could, but sadly it's not possible here. I honestly think that the only realistic solution here would be to somehow have a tunnel/overpass, but even that I don't really know how we'd be able to make work properly (not to mention the cost).

A tunnel would be ludicrously expensive and complicated given the alignments and difference in elevation; let alone the indigenous park.

What else would be an option?
It's too narrow for a functional traffic circle, the tunnel is too expensive and comes with technical and political implications...

A tunnel would certainly be a sizeable expense but very worthy of conversation with a busy main entrance to downtown. I can see generally an alignment that doesn't cut through or under the indigenous art park that would still work well.

I’ve never seen traffic be an issue at that hairpin turn, so while it’s definitely not the perfect intersection for driving I think it is completely fine considering how difficult it would be to make any sort of improvement. Plus I love the quirky charm that turn gives to one of our main roads into downtown

The hairpin intersection is easy enough to deal with, I'd rather they fix the confusing 101 St and MacDonald Dr intersection. They should lower 101 St below MacDonald Dr and then grade it up to surface towards Jasper Ave.
I like that idea

The hairpin intersection is easy enough to deal with, I'd rather they fix the confusing 101 St and MacDonald Dr intersection. They should lower 101 St below MacDonald Dr and then grade it up to surface towards Jasper Ave.

I don't like that idea since there is nothing confusing about it. Just need a couple more signs plus maybe a dedicated turn to access the Chateau Lacombe hotel and Robert's your mother's brother.

I don't like that idea since there is nothing confusing about it. Just need a couple more signs plus maybe a dedicated turn to access the Chateau Lacombe hotel and Robert's your mother's brother.
Good idea, dedicated turn lane and signage - sometimes a simpler solution is good.

There's nothing confusing about it for me either, but you have to expect other drivers to not know what lane they should be in, whether they should be signalling or not signalling, etc.

Same at 109 St towards Walterdale Hill, the drivers know that the right turn lane is for turning right onto Saskatchewan Dr and that getting onto Walterdale Hill is not the right turn, right?

Back