Manulife Place Renovations | 145.99m | 36s | AIMCo | MdeAS

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Given the lack of 'anchor' tenants for them, others pulling back/out and that cash is king right now... that was something that I was somewhat expecting if true.

While I understand the current economic environment, the reality is there are a lot of landlords competing for the few potential retail tenants that may be out there.

Manulife is a nice building with a lot of good attributes, but I doubt resting on their laurels will help fill the increasing number of empty spaces either.

I am not thrilled with this design. It looks rather like a suburban mall than the podium in what was at one time the most prestigious building in Edmonton. On the other hand the new Stantec building podium is worse.

Does anyone know if there are any plan to permanently close 102nd Ave to car traffic. it's been closed for a while now with LRT construction and I don't believe it has too badly affected traffic flow. Could be turned into a vibrant pedestrian space and with the rework of Manulife and the LaSalle purchase seeming to indicate redevelopment at ECC it seems like now would be the time to do it. Maybe something like this but obviously the LRT running down the middle.

original_shutterstock_1557467177.jpg

Last edited:
Good to see them cut it down to one way though, personally I would prefer it to be eliminated in favor of a totally pedestrianized street. Edmonton does not have anything like that and due to it's proximity to the two major downtown shopping centers it would make sense here, Though as you said if the traffic is that badly affected by it's closure perhaps another location would be better suited?

When did you heard that? Dialog submitted the DP at the beginning of March and their letter made it sound like it was all systems go.
That don't mean much... look at Regency with their 1, 2 knockout of two lots. We all saw the ducks lined up in the row, but here we are...

Depends on who you ask... but it has been significantly affected for most/many.

The plan is to retain one way east from 107st-95st.

PED-BIKE-BIKE-CAR-LRT-LRT-PED

It’s actually only eastbound to 97 Street. From 97 Street to 95 Street, it is one way westbound and the driving lane is on the north side of the tracks.

I love that we're starting to take back some space from car's and giving it to alternative modes of transit. However I find that one way streets lead to drivers feeling more comfortable going much faster. Maybe the tight space will slow people but idk something about having oncoming traffic seems to slow people down. It could be chaotic with all these different modes of transit converging in one area, hopefully there aren't any reckless drivers going 30 over the speed limit (but let's be honest this is Alberta so there's bound to be a couple)

Back