Manulife Place Renovations | 145.99m | 36s | AIMCo | MdeAS

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
As a Calgarian, I’m hoping that all these empty office towers can become a positive. I would like to see all the head offices or any company for that matter move into all the premier and new AAA and AA class office buildings to fill them up. This would be good incentive to convert and modernize all the old empty B and C class buildings into residential or multi use. I think Edmonton could do something similar.

I’m watching the Ice district closely because Calgary is finally embarking on the new convention Centre and arena district this year. I was impressed with the ice district when I visited a couple years ago and I am hoping Calgary’s can also have a big impact. With the East Village and all of Calgary’s cultural institutions next door, this area can really help us transform the East part of downtown. I think it is imperative that both cities continue to advance and transform their downtowns for the betterment of the entire province.

What is the differences between urbanized communities vs a stand alone highrise condo? A highrise is a gated community. If you want families to come downtown, y.ou want a safe environment for kids to play outside. I'm not refering to fences and gates wrapping around a paradigm. Im refering to building an entire block where the podium would be constructed to wrap around the entire block while the outside features for children etc are situated in the hollow centre creating a gated form ( think of a rectangle donut). The podiums can still be designed to look like an urban core while towers for families, retirees or other needs can go on top. Take advantage of podium roof tops for out door gymnasium, basketball court, tennis court or community garden etc. Understabdably, we dont have a single developer locally that can or willingly afford the tackling of an entire block, but, collectively, developers can invest that matters together... Tackling one block at a time, each taking turns to building for respective audiences. Take the lot north of Roger's as a fine example for the perfect experimental.

What is the differences between urbanized communities vs a stand alone highrise condo? A highrise is a gated community. If you want families to come downtown, y.ou want a safe environment for kids to play outside. I'm not refering to fences and gates wrapping around a paradigm. Im refering to building an entire block where the podium would be constructed to wrap around the entire block while the outside features for children etc are situated in the hollow centre creating a gated form ( think of a rectangle donut). The podiums can still be designed to look like an urban core while towers for families, retirees or other needs can go on top. Take advantage of podium roof tops for out door gymnasium, basketball court, tennis court or community garden etc. Understabdably, we dont have a single developer locally that can or willingly afford the tackling of an entire block, but, collectively, developers can invest that matters together... Tackling one block at a time, each taking turns to building for respective audiences. Take the lot north of Roger's as a fine example for the perfect experimental.
Heck, in a development class I took in uni, our class made one helluva proposal for redeveloping an entire downtown city block WITH numerous site restrictions, and per our financials (lol) it was viable, so why can't the big guys do it........ haha

Anyone who has been in the downtown area recently have any updates on if this has started or is starting soon?

The development permit was submitted early March for the interior and exterior work, so it's definitely in the works.

391371452 4-13-2021 10-21-39 AM.png

Last edited:
There was discussion that the renovation would have the accessible rooftop patio with Cactus Club possibly moving there. Has this picked up steam at all?
Not sure, I haven't heard of CC moving in, but there will be a new restaurant space at the northwest corner on the first floor where Second Cup used to be.

I think that would be a nice spot for a good restaurant, particularly one that could be fairly busy.

I liked the Second Cup there and was sad to see it go. I think they did ok, perhaps the impending LRT construction so close by prompted them to close or maybe it was waning appeal of Second Cup in general.

In any event a nice restaurant might perk up that corner.

Back