Manchester Square | ?m | 2s | 76 Group Co | Gardner Architecture

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
@crisp Fun fact: the property is about the same size as the footprint of the part of West Block currently under construction.

upload_2018-8-17_9-34-12.png

http://mapfrappe.com/?show=54930

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-17_9-34-12.png
    upload_2018-8-17_9-34-12.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 689
^^ If every development has to tick off all those boxes, nothing will get built. And for what's its worth, an answer can be made for almost all those points with the project.

^The size of the plot, relative to it being considered a 'strip mall' is still very small. Westblock also serves a pretty specific demographic (Glenora wealth downsizing, and people that just want to live in Glenora). I don't think a development like Westblock would sell very well in this spot, and I'd imagine the developer has brainstormed the idea. Something like Zen, Maxx, Vibe lofts may have worked and yes would have been better. But I think that's where our disagreement stems from, you're upset on knowing what 'could' have been. My opinion is that there is plenty of land even closer to the core that is so prime for higher density development, that this one in the location that it is, is still an improvement that I am willing to accept.

^^ If every development has to tick off all those boxes, nothing will get built. And for what's its worth, an answer can be made for almost all those points with the project.
Perhaps, but strategic policy exists for a reason at the federal, provincial, and municipal levels of government and if you ignore one or two policies over the long term, the results can and will be seen over a longer time period. Operational policy guides things in the short term, but strategic policy guides Edmonton or Alberta or Canada and how all of those will look 50 years from now. There is a reason that Canada was and still is seen as a peacekeeping force - strategic policy. Likewise, why rapid transit has flourished in cities like Calgary and Vancouver, but have stagnated in Edmonton - strategic policy. Like I said in my other post, if you ignore too many policies, you will end up down the road like Grande Prairie, Red Deer, etc, which have had relaxed development policies in the name of growth. The same argument applies in Edmonton as far as the explosion in the suburbs goes. It is what it is, but the existing policies we had in place allowed for extreme growth outward.

You're not wrong in saying that extreme policy stifles growth; however, it also allows the city to control how and what things are built. The mechanisms that guide those policies are EDC, SDAB, DO, etc.

I can't speak for Dave, but my anger doesn't come from what could have been, but rather, if we have policy in place, we should follow the policy, because it exists for a reason. If we are simply finding workarounds (over ruling the rules) to policy all the time, then why do we have the policy in the first place? If the city wants to simply allow whatever to be built, they need to revisit all "The Way We..." policies to revise them and change the overall mandate for the future. Otherwise, you will continue to have people pointing the finger like Dave is rightly doing.

I agree with your perception... in the grand scheme of things. In this one specific project, considering where it sits and what is planned, I just don't see it as destructive to the goal as you do. I have not read the way we grow, but having a general idea of it and being an advocate of urban density and growth myself, I personally deem this specific project acceptable. It will have too small of an impact to trigger any sort of unwanted development at a greater scale. The impact it will have, in the location that it is, will still be positive.

On a side note, looking at the satellite view and the renders, I just realized that this project is not (or may not be) a complete teardown of the current structure on the site.

Hi there! I am new to this form.

I was doing a little digging on the CoE website, and I am not sure if this has been said already, but the developer has been permitted to bulldoze the warehouse portion of this site (I believe its the Brick?).

My main concern for this project is the front oriented parking lot. I would be quite sad if this gets built, as it just sets there to be this type of development in this central neighborhood for many years to come. I emailed the city and developer to ask for more info on the timeline and if they require approval from the city, and will post here if I hear anything!

Hey there.

Just got info from the developer and the city.

Developer says the development is oriented the way it is because they are simply refurbishing the L shaped building on the lot. Their main business is revitalizing buildings similar to Beljan. They don't want to do a complete new building to keep costs and rents down for local business.

City told me that they only simply approved the demolition of the warehouse, which is The brick i believe. They said the developer will be needing a done change from medium industrial to industrial business zone, so the development will be going to Council but that this is not on the agenda anytime soon. I hope those interested voice their opinions once this goes to Council.

My revised opinion:

-I am not really against the whole Amsterdam/Euro theme, but I really don't like how they are still laying it out like a regular strip mall.
Like, they could really lay it out in a way that truly looks European, such as having the parking lot wrap around the mall and having narrow and covered walkways with storefronts. The facades would still face outward but also face inwards towards the narrow path. this would all lead inward to an ACTUAL square right in the centre with more store fronts and maybe even one or two restaurants. below I have attached a picture of the Diocletian's Palace in Split, Croatia to give you all an idea of what I am talking about. It is my personal picture.

I mean, not to sure if this developer in particular could pull something like this off, but it would fit in more with the whole "Bring a little bit of Europe to Edmonton" Idea. :)
IMG_2795.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2795.JPG
    IMG_2795.JPG
    570 KB · Views: 581
Last edited:
upload_2018-9-25_15-0-40.png

I nearly spat out my tea when i saw this. It is hilarious! It is weird enough as is, I can't wait to see how bizarre it gets once they have value-engineered it further. Dutch/Hanseatic League architecture, Northern UK name, strip mall format. It is a bizarre/confused enough that I actually want to see how this turns out. Watching this development with bated breathe.

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-25_15-0-40.png
    upload_2018-9-25_15-0-40.png
    588.6 KB · Views: 640
Last edited:
Thankfully this will still have to go through EDC, though they have let some crap go through in recent years.

Back