Maclab Garneau | Laurent | Eleanor | 98.14m | 30s | Maclab Development

What do you think of this project?

• I neither like nor dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
If you're referring to Riverwind 1 & 2, says Communitas built them in 1989 and 1990. They also built Grandin Green in 1999.

Riverwind 1 & 2 are also lowkey one of my architectural guilty pleasures here in Edmonton... the sort of Miami modern styling just looks hilarious on Sask Dr.
Yes, Riverwind. 1989-90 eh...hmmm, older than I thought.

Taken October 3, 2022
20221003_140820.jpg

1.Commerce Place
2.Riverwind tower 1 and 2
3. Winspear
4. The Klassen, the 9 tory building north of 112ave. across from Stadium Station.
5. expansion on YWMCA 103-100ave. the dark chocolate brick tower (east elevation)

Six times (technically 5.5 lol) in total Edmonton had erected cranes since the completion of Manulife in 1982 up to 1998. To add insults to injuries, buildings of antiquated jewels, large and small, were bulldozed or accidentally set on fire (cough... cough!) erasing the street connectivity and leaving us with ample outdoor unpaved parkades which we are now trying to reverse.

Remember when 'The Manhattan' by BCM (pastel Sask Dr. tower) advertised condos starting at $349,999.00 and everyone thought that they were crazy and that this 'was not Manhattan'.
I don't remember the details, wasn't paying close attention at the time - maybe because it was above my price range. I am thinking that would have been way above the price of an average house here at that time.

However, I do believe that was in the (early?) 90's too.

1.Commerce Place
2.Riverwind tower 1 and 2
3. Winspear
4. The Klassen, the 9 tory building north of 112ave. across from Stadium Station.
5. expansion on YWMCA 103-100ave. the dark chocolate brick tower (east elevation)

Six times (technically 5.5 lol) in total Edmonton had erected cranes since the completion of Manulife in 1982 up to 1998. To add insults to injuries, buildings of antiquated jewels, large and small, were bulldozed or accidentally set on fire (cough... cough!) erasing the street connectivity and leaving us with ample outdoor unpaved parkades which we are now trying to reverse.
They had to have had one up for building Grandin Green in '99.

If you're referring to Riverwind 1 & 2, says Communitas built them in 1989 and 1990. They also built Grandin Green in 1999.

Riverwind 1 & 2 are also lowkey one of my architectural guilty pleasures here in Edmonton... the sort of Miami modern styling just looks hilarious on Sask Dr.
The late 80s make sense for the Riverwinds as I've always thought of them as the 'Miami Vice' towers. They wouldn't look that out of place in Miami Beach with all of the white and glass block. I'm sure there are some units with original finishings still, such as black toilets, brass and general PoMo vibes.

They were built between 1992-96 if memory serves me correctly as I didn't move into the city until 1988 as an 18-year-old...

The late 80s make sense for the Riverwinds as I've always thought of them as the 'Miami Vice' towers. They wouldn't look that out of place in Miami Beach with all of the white and glass block. I'm sure there are some units with original finishings still, such as black toilets, brass and general PoMo vibes.
I like the outside, they are distinctive, but have never seen the inside. Someone I worked with years ago bought a unit and seemed happy. Not sure if he is still there, but I think that style at the time would have appealed to him.

Probably many of the units have been renovated by now, but at some point that style may come back whether we want it to or not.

Back