Law Courts Galleria | ?m | 4s | Province of Alberta | Next Architecture

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
From Saturday
Doiwntown afternoon North bank plus 2020-02-22 273.JPG

Love it.
Now, why couldn't the Milner have had just a slight bit of this elegance in design, even a smidgen, somewhere, anywhere?
I see no reason for me going into the Law Courts building, (I hope) but I will take a walk-threw when open because the exterior looks great. The library, on the other hand, should be sentenced to 25 years with no chance of parole.
This new Law Courts addition is looking fantastic.

The western side of the building looks pretty ugly and uninviting, also doesn't fit as well with the existing structure as the old design did. Between this and the library it's been a tough year for the aesthetics of the civic precinct imo... oof! :confused:

Last edited:
The doors are also extra wide -- my guess is for vehicle entry (maybe for the hardened criminal types with gang affiliations; or it could be so that judges called in from their motor vacations -- movacay -- can just drive their RVs right into the courtroom; or it could be for kangaroo court applications so those hop-a-lots don't bang their noggins on the door frame as they bound in or out).

That is a great video. I had forgotten about the complex challenges that the team faced to build the new curtain wall over the old curved skylights, without disrupting the daily activity of the courts. The end result to me looks so classy, modern, and seamlessly ties in with the brutalist Courthouse. As for the Courthouse, I'm with the "Don't wash the concrete - save the patena!" crowd. I look forward to taking a photo tour later this year if possible.

Back