Law Courts Galleria | ?m | 4s | Province of Alberta | Next Architecture

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Network has multitude of meanings. For example, networking to make a system work more efficiently by sharing a building to reduce the costs such as police officers walking back and forth from the station to the courthouse and back to the station; or, what stuff can be shared with both departments so they are not duplicates and a waste to tax payers. You got to expand your mind from a linear thinking to the outside-the -box, and I hate that cliche term...

Network has multitude of meanings. For example, networking to make a system work more efficiently by sharing a building to reduce the costs such as police officers walking back and forth from the station to the courthouse and back to the station; or, what stuff can be shared with both departments so they are not duplicates and a waste to tax payers. You got to expand your mind from a linear thinking to the outside-the -box, and I hate that cliche term...
I'm sure that when you said this:
High decision maker of laws are housed together which could potentially.allow for better networking..
...you meant saving beat cops a few steps. :rolleyes: No point in continuing.

I think what Whattagame is suggesting is that in some cases government services must not only be separate, but they must also be seen to be separate. Putting the police and the courts in one building to save costs makes as much sense as moving the Premier's Office next to the Chief Justice's Office to saving on cleaning costs.

It's probably not a good idea to provide an avenue for EPS to exert more influence over the judiciary.

As for the mailer posted above, the fear mongering over crime is really taking off. I hope that people are paying attention and following along with the playbook.
It's also inaccurate. There's already a Gang Suppression Unit within EPS so they aren't creating a damn thing.

It is eminently reasonable to expect both a decent courthouse suitable for a capital city and a police headquarters building. We can ask for both. Don't need to be scoring on our own net here.

There are many things that are related, but distinct and kept separate. For instance, we don't combine hospitals and funeral homes, even though there are some people that go between them, so it might arguably be more efficient to do so. On a more positive note, most secondary schools are also generally physically separated from post secondary schools although a lot of students go from one to the other too.

I also do feel it is important for there not to be confusion whether you are in a police station or a court. They should remain physically separate.

...not to mention the complexities of getting the necessary degree of cooperation between city and provincial governments - especially this city and this province.

I'm sure that when you said this:

...you meant saving beat cops a few steps. :rolleyes: No point in continuing.
Saving time is saving costs. Would you rather police doing their job on the street or stuck in court? Every time they waste time traversing is like a fawcett dripping. Try that over a life time, and tell me how much cost one would incurred?

I think what Whattagame is suggesting is that in some cases government services must not only be separate, but they must also be seen to be separate. Putting the police and the courts in one building to save costs makes as much sense as moving the Premier's Office next to the Chief Justice's Office to saving on cleaning costs.
We don't need a new police headquarter. They just need additional office spaces. What we have now can remain as is.

It is eminently reasonable to expect both a decent courthouse suitable for a capital city and a police headquarters building. We can ask for both. Don't need to be scoring on our own net here.
We can't even get a new court building, so goodluck in asking for both. The EPS is short of office space, so give them what ever amount of floors required and bridge that section over to the current head quartered space.

Back