Land Titles Building Restoration | ?m | 2s | Province of Alberta | Group2

Daveography

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Land Titles Building getting a much needed reno and reuse.

PERMIT_DATE January 21, 2019
JOB_CATEGORY Commercial Final
ADDRESS 10523 - 100 AVENUE NW
NEIGHBOURHOOD DOWNTOWN
JOB_DESCRIPTION To construct interior alterations to an existing building - Industrial Health Lab: Removal and disposal of all existing fixtures and furniture that has been left in the building.-Removal / Abatement of all hazardous materials as per the Hazardous Materials Assessment report in section 00 31 00 “Available Information Documents” of the specifications as submitted in permit#084942806-006.-Demolition of interior partitions as per the demarcation lines (dashed lines) on drawings DWG No. A2.0, A2.1, A2.2 and A3.1 as submitted in permit#084942806-006.-Demolition of mechanical equipment/systems outlined in section 22 05 10 – Mechanical Selective Demolition.-Demolition of electrical equipment indicated on drawings DWG No. E2.1, E2.2. as submitted in permit#084942806-006.
BUILDING_TYPE Laboratory/Research Centres (580)
WORK_TYPE (03) Interior Alterations
FLOOR_AREA 7,642.37
CONSTRUCTION_VALUE 5,000
ZONING DC1

Land Titles Building getting a much needed reno and reuse.

PERMIT_DATE January 21, 2019
NEIGHBOURHOOD DOWNTOWN
JOB_DESCRIPTION To construct interior alterations to an existing building - Industrial Health Lab: Removal and disposal of all existing fixtures and furniture that has been left in the building.-Removal / Abatement of all hazardous materials as per the Hazardous Materials Assessment report in section 00 31 00 “Available Information Documents” of the specifications as submitted in permit#084942806-006.-Demolition of interior partitions as per the demarcation lines (dashed lines) on drawings DWG No. A2.0, A2.1, A2.2 and A3.1 as submitted in permit#084942806-006.-Demolition of mechanical equipment/systems outlined in section 22 05 10 – Mechanical Selective Demolition.-Demolition of electrical equipment indicated on drawings DWG No. E2.1, E2.2. as submitted in permit#084942806-006.
WORK_TYPE (03) Interior Alterations
FLOOR_AREA 7,642.37
CONSTRUCTION_VALUE 5,000
ZONING DC1

PERMIT_DATE March 15, 2019
NEIGHBOURHOOD DOWNTOWN
JOB_DESCRIPTION To construct Footings and Foundation permit and Shoring (contained within the property) ONLY to an addition (barrier free accessible washrooms on the main and second floors), to an existing Professional, Financial and Office Support Services Use building. (Industrial Health Lab).
WORK_TYPE (04) Footing & Foundation
FLOOR_AREA 645.83
CONSTRUCTION_VALUE 15,000
ZONING DC1

@Kaizen I hope so too. Sounds
PERMIT_DATE March 15, 2019
NEIGHBOURHOOD DOWNTOWN
JOB_DESCRIPTION To construct Footings and Foundation permit and Shoring (contained within the property) ONLY to an addition (barrier free accessible washrooms on the main and second floors), to an existing Professional, Financial and Office Support Services Use building. (Industrial Health Lab).
WORK_TYPE (04) Footing & Foundation
FLOOR_AREA 645.83
CONSTRUCTION_VALUE 15,000
ZONING DC1

Good to hear. I hope they will eventually permit for exterior & reface /restore the brick.,

Can confirm the brick will be restored. There will also be an addition constructed at the rear (south side) of the building which may possibly include an elevator to the second floor. Great to see one of the city's oldest buildings restored (also the oldest Federal admin building in the province)!

I couldn't find a thread on this project, so I figured I’d dump some photos here.

The old Edmonton Land, Timber, and Registry Office, which has long housed the Elizabeth Fry Society, is currently undergoing a massive restoration. Stripping off stucco applied in 1949, the building is apparently being reverted to its original 1893 appearance. One of the oldest brick buildings in Edmonton, this humble structure was built when the city was still a small frontier town located in the North-West Territories, with only a population of 700. Designed by Thomas Fuller, it is the oldest Federal building in the province. In 1913 a new land titles building opened next to the downtown courthouse, rendering this one obsolete. It would become the Victoria Armouries, housing the 19th Alberta Dragoons during the First World War, and the Edmonton Fusiliers during the Second.

All of these photos were taken last Sunday and since then there has been quite a bit more progress. The flat roofed annex portion, closest to the camera in the first picture, has now been almost completely stripped. As a heritage enthusiast this is great to see, but I do worry that some of the brickwork is in noticeably bad condition, as seen in the second picture. The third picture shows the original nameplate starting to peak through the stucco, which somewhat humorously featured a pretty noticeable, and basic, grammar mistake.

1893 Land Titles Building.jpg

1893 Land Titles Building 3.jpg

1893 Land Titles Building 4.jpg

Nameplate.jpg

Attachments

• 1893 Land Titles Building 2.jpg
    1893 Land Titles Building 2.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 688
Last edited:
Great shots, thank you. No thread on this yet.
I can't wait to see more. Hopefully most will be saved, and as I'm feeling like one of those 700 original residents of Edmonton the sooner the better ( :

I can't wait to see it completed either! Its a shame the Arlington Apartments, which stood across it for nearly a century, is no longer there to complement it though.

I couldn't find a thread on this project, so I figured I’d dump some photos here.

The old Edmonton Land, Timber, and Registry Office, which has long housed the Elizabeth Fry Society, is currently undergoing a massive restoration. Stripping off stucco applied in 1949, the building is apparently being reverted to its original 1893 appearance. One of the oldest brick buildings in Edmonton, this humble structure was built when the city was still a small frontier town located in the North-West Territories, with only a population of 700. Designed by Thomas Fuller, it is the oldest Federal building in the province. In 1913 a new land titles building opened next to the downtown courthouse, rendering this one obsolete. It would become the Victoria Armouries, housing the 19th Alberta Dragoons during the First World War, and the Edmonton Fusiliers during the Second.

All of these photos were taken last Sunday and since then there has been quite a bit more progress. The flat roofed annex portion, closest to the camera in the first picture, has now been almost completely stripped. As a heritage enthusiast this is great to see, but I do worry that some of the brickwork is in noticeably bad condition, as seen in the second picture. The third picture shows the original nameplate starting to peak through the stucco, which somewhat humorously featured a pretty noticeable, and basic, grammar mistake.

View attachment 186158

View attachment 186160

View attachment 186161

View attachment 186162

Yeah that brick is in rough shape. I really hope they are able to restore this place.

P6030640.jpg

P6030637.jpgP6030638.jpgP6030639.jpgP6030640.jpgP6030641.jpg

Back