Jasper House | 108m | ?s

What do you think of this project?

• I dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
It's a mess through and through.

Over-designed, sloppy, unoriginal and literally the sophistication of a bachelor putting 5 random ingredients from his fridge into a 'stir fry'.

Come on guys.

It's a mess through and through.

Over-designed, sloppy, unoriginal and literally the sophistication of a bachelor putting 5 random ingredients from his fridge into a 'stir fry'.

Come on guys.
OK Archited,IanO, 8 ounce gloves,headgear and go til someone drops.Loser gets to shut up for a week and of course the winner gets to go look in a mirror and gloat.

@mookey780 -- in boxing, this would be a huge mismatch (I have seen pictures of 'O and he looks rather small). I am 6'-5" and weigh in at 255 pounds and ranked second in an RCAF-sponsored Golden Gloves tourney (that was many years ago so 'O certainly will have the youth advantage). I am therefore polishing up my mirror.

Actually @dkazzed according to the TBD/Architects website and in their case it does. In the world of Concepts and Proposals it also means "To Be Determined" suggesting that efforts such as theirs have to run a gauntlet of inspection and introspection before becoming reality. I think that their Proposal is brilliant -- I know that it does not measure up to those who prefer unadorned boxes on the City skyline -- but this Concept faces two worlds. On the one hand it has an association with the River Valley and the River itself, winding and curvilinear; on the other it faces the City character purported by Jasper Avenue, stark and urban. I like the two associations that the Architects have drawn with their solution -- the fluctuating balconies on the South-face mirror the wantonness of the natural world; the rigidity of the urban world on the North-face takes on the character of the City's grid, hustle and bustle. And they have gone a step further -- TBD/Architects have defined a public restaurant space where people sit and are afforded the opportunity to view the natural beauty of the river valley (a space that also opens up to a substantial public plaza -- hopefully the future eatery tenant will be able to serve tables on this space as well). The more commercial and retail aspects have their uses defined on the commercial-oriented Jasper Avenue. If you examine this Concept more carefully, you will also see a functional relationship between human scale elements at Grade level and a subservient relationship in a physical and a material change that nods to the smaller Jasper House building next to it. These guys have hit this one out of the park -- I dearly hope that it does not get butchered too much running the "gauntlet" -- that is TBD.
Your comment: "on the other it faces (north?) the City character purported by Jasper Avenue, stark and urban" is rather shortsighted - given 2 larger apartment buildings are directly across the street with hundreds of units that previous benefited by daylight and darkness and with views of the river valley will instead be looking at a concrete wall. Maybe you could expand why you think that massive concrete slab on the north side will benefit the people of the community that live immediately adjacent? These people: https://goo.gl/maps/3XNfXpXmNcWHeQBJ6

Once again @EdmTrekker you are making suppositions -- you have no idea that the north wall of the project is concrete -- It may be entirely glass (window glass and glass spandrel) for all you know. And I guess you imagine a City where tall buildings are excluded based on neighbouring building priorities.

Once again @EdmTrekker you are making suppositions -- you have no idea that the north wall of the project is concrete -- It may be entirely glass (window glass and glass spandrel) for all you know. And I guess you imagine a City where tall buildings are excluded based on neighbouring building priorities.

Your meandering now - but I imagine a City where tall buildings are welcome. As to your comment on the North wall - you are right that we don't know what magic if any will be created.

I don’t understand how the same people that praise Symphony tower can shit on this one when we don’t even have a finalized rendering. Symphony also has an extremely different front and back and is a hodgepodged stucco mess.

I’m assuming that this low res early rendering is not doing a good job of showing material/colour continuity between the front and the back. This one could end up very nice. Like Archited said though, it could also be butchered before we get to a final product. Hopefully rather than being butchered it’s just refined a little bit.

Enlargement of renderings in the name of closer inspection...
Screen Shot 2022-07-16 at 1.11.20 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-16 at 1.14.37 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-16 at 1.17.35 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-16 at 1.16.17 PM.png

I was put off at first glance, but this grew on my quickly and I mean quickly. I can't wait to see more detailed designs and renders but I really like the concept!

That pixelated wavy pattern is the worst part and needs to go. Either give it real curves or don't even bother.

I feel there are some pretty harsh judgements based off very generic renderings.

I like the idea of incorporating the river feel on one side and city feel on the other. Its different and what this city needs.

I'm not going to give detail opinions until I see more detailed renderings

Back