What do you think of this project?

• I neither like nor dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it

• I dislike it a lot

• Total voters
Are there any examples of where gentrification has been a non-issue? As you well know, Edmonton is not even close to the first city that has had to deal with gentrification - gentrification is as much of a social problem as it is an economic issue. Property values are driven up, pushing property tax up and also the barrier to entry up for new individuals/businesses. It is not only existing tenants/residents that are affected with gentrification. Toronto (as you highlighted above), Brooklyn (particularly Wiliamsburg and now other neighbourhoods) are good examples of this in a larger context than what Edmonton has had to face. You can put up safeguards from a governance perspective, but there are still natural forces that you cannot control through regulation. I definitely understand the want for it to be a non-issue, but I also don't think that is realistic from a systemic perspective either.

no, gentrification is inherently an issue, unless you’re wealthy and enjoy or don’t care about the consequences of your actions, i suppose. what i mean is that we shouldn’t be thinking that, “wow, edmonton has enough going on now that it’s finally dealing with gentrification” as if it’s a good. or, at least that’s how i interpreted your post, but you could have meant something else entirely.

ultimately it is an issue with how property and land is utilized and, you’re right, it’s systemic, and i don’t think much other than piecemeal reforms can occur without huge structural changes.

no, gentrification is inherently an issue, unless you’re wealthy and enjoy or don’t care about the consequences of your actions, i suppose. what i mean is that we shouldn’t be thinking that, “wow, edmonton has enough going on now that it’s finally dealing with gentrification” as if it’s a good. or, at least that’s how i interpreted your post, but you could have meant something else entirely.

ultimately it is an issue with how property and land is utilized and, you’re right, it’s systemic, and i don’t think much other than piecemeal reforms can occur without huge structural changes.
I simply meant that Edmonton has some development going on centrally. 10-15 years ago, there hadn't really been much of anything new for quite some time. That definitely plays in how property and land is utilized and for quite a while, Edmonton didn't have to deal with that problem much at all other than in the burbs. My original point was that people are now talking about gentrification and what impact it has in Edmonton whether good or bad. For the longest time, there was no conversation about gentrification in Edmonton, because there was no underlying new development either, which is not a good thing independent of gentrification. I meant to come across as agnostic toward whether it is good or bad. The fact that we can have conversations about how to control gentrification and make it more sustainable in the future is a good thing.

A good way to read this whole gentrification issue, in the case of Edmonton is to see if this way: gentrification is not a good process for any area, at least from a social standpoint and that`s a given. Now, the whole process behind the insurgence of gentrification on the other hand, is a completely different beast as, in our particular case, it means that some areas of the city are becoming desirable again and, more than that, developments are happening in such areas, which is undoubtedly good and this whole process is usually a result of positive economic change and, in the case of West Oliver and other downtown areas, reasonably good urban planning in the past few years.
Now that we got this out of the way, it is a good sign for Edmonton that we can have this discussion about gentrification if, and only if, we can recognize that we DON`T want it and fight the movement with good development policy, in a way that we can actually stop gentrification while it`s still incipient.

^^^^ that has been the enigma for all urban societies throughout the millennia in all countries on earth for all time. Communism's main tenet was to eliminate the bourgeoisie in favor of an egalitarian society and in those countries where the precepts of the idea initiated revolutions, other elements soon got in the way -- the corruption of power, the primacy of ruling class, separation by race, ignorance of history and ethnic order, and so on. In Edmonton, too, gentrification has always been a thing and, I am afraid to say so, but will most likely always be. In a Capitalist society unchecked greed and thirst for dominance by power will ever be an outcome. The two -- Communism and Capitalism -- are at opposite ends of a polar world view; it is extremely difficult to find and maintain the middle ground.
First Nations of the Pacific Northwest practiced a cultural meme known as "potlatch" the act of status attached to giving (rather than taking). A good starting point for urban society would be maintaining the act of lifting the poorest among us to at least the level of basic care -- health, shelter, and food sustenance. We have tried some of the more basic of these in the effort of mixing sustainable housing into all new developments, universal health care (more successful in Canada than in the U.S.), and providing food vouchers (in whatever form). Unfortunately, if I am an individual hard put upon, I am looked down by society in general. Until we can view "the poor" as an opportunity for investment to raise the bar for all society, we will continue to falter and there will be gentrification -- it is unavoidable!

^^^^ that has been the enigma for all urban societies throughout the millennia in all countries on earth for all time. Communism's main tenet was to eliminate the bourgeoisie in favor of an egalitarian society and in those countries where the precepts of the idea initiated revolutions, other elements soon got in the way -- the corruption of power, the primacy of ruling class, separation by race, ignorance of history and ethnic order, and so on. In Edmonton, too, gentrification has always been a thing and, I am afraid to say so, but will most likely always be. In a Capitalist society unchecked greed and thirst for dominance by power will ever be an outcome. The two -- Communism and Capitalism -- are at opposite ends of a polar world view; it is extremely difficult to find and maintain the middle ground.
First Nations of the Pacific Northwest practiced a cultural meme known as "potlatch" the act of status attached to giving (rather than taking). A good starting point for urban society would be maintaining the act of lifting the poorest among us to at least the level of basic care -- health, shelter, and food sustenance. We have tried some of the more basic of these in the effort of mixing sustainable housing into all new developments, universal health care (more successful in Canada than in the U.S.), and providing food vouchers (in whatever form). Unfortunately, if I am an individual hard put upon, I am looked down by society in general. Until we can view "the poor" as an opportunity for investment to raise the bar for all society, we will continue to falter and there will be gentrification -- it is unavoidable!

ya capitalism sucks tbh

Anyone know when their planning to break ground?

besides this project I think only Falcon 1 and Clancey are the best possibilities for any project breaking ground in the Downtown area. With the Encore, Augustana and the Hat finishing up, there’s only CNIB and Glenora Park under construction. Looks like there might be a gap before the next projects.

Anyone know when their planning to break ground?

besides this project I think only Falcon 1 and Clancey are the best possibilities for any project breaking ground in the Downtown area. With the Encore, Augustana and the Hat finishing up, there’s only CNIB and Glenora Park under construction. Looks like there might be a gap before the next projects.
Word is that Pangman`s development of the old Edmonton Motors, on Jasper, will break ground this winter as well.

photo_2020-10-31_16-23-28.jpg

Drove by the site today...

Back