J123 | 99.06m | 30s | Streamliner | DIALOG

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
^
It especially irks me to see these lots empty because the commercial buildings that we list were actually pretty decent looking and had lots of life left in them. If they were derelict and then torn down, fine, not a huge loss. But if there's nothing wrong with the buildings then it's just a waste

Agreed, this is why I'm glad that so far Wexford has left the building in alone at their Clancey site.

This group is also from the GTA/Toronto and likely are looking at that market's performance versus others as to where to deploy capital and when to do so.

This group is also from the GTA/Toronto and likely are looking at that market's performance versus others as to where to deploy capital and when to do so.

All the more reason that city administration should be implementing policies that protect the interest of the city and the community by tying demo permits to construction permits.

It shouldn't really matter where they are from, unless you are trying to say being from out of town might make them less care less or be less responsive to the community. Perhaps that is true.

If so, then I suppose that is all the more reason to have policies that protect the interest of the city and the community.

It shouldn't really matter where they are from, unless you are trying to say being from out of town might make them less care less or be less responsive to the community. Perhaps that is true.

If so, then I suppose that is all the more reason to have policies that protect the interest of the city and the community.
For us, it doesn't matter, but I understand what he meant by pointing this out. Being from Toronto and having little to no presence here, they don't know the Edmonton real estate market as well as local companies and might be waiting for others to test the waters before they shove a ton o money there.
Do I agree with it? No, by any means. It hurts our city and should be prevented by our bylaws. But from their perspective it is a reasonable approach

That was exactly what I was saying. It shouldnt matter, the bylaws should be there to protect the community from empty lots regardless of where the developers are from (and we have a few locals like Regency and the owner of the Arlington) but my point was that out of town developers are more than likely less inclined to be concerned about the impacts to the community of their demo and empty lots given that it is out of sight out of mind. Local developers that have been successful and really know and invest in the community have stood out, however, when you have no ties to the city there is less incentive to make anything other than $$$. Either way I really think there needs to be a process that ties demo and construction permits together to stop the demo and empty lots.

I’m not as knowledgeable as some of the other posters here so I’ve got a legit question since someone brought up the issue of the the developer being from out of town, but wouldn’t the construction grant (along with the resulting new construction of buildings for that) create some sort of knock-off effect on other projects (such as this one) in the next year or two?

Local market intelligence and experience has significant value and so yes, it very much matters where they are from. The Toronto market is one of the hottest markets on the globe for multi-family product with an insatiable and almost never-ending demand. Our market is not that and we have seen other examples of this that support my point here.

MacKenzie Tower and Great Gulf's Frank Oliver Park

^^^^ Cardinal towers project was also axed in Toronto -- so I guess not that hot -- proposal projects often don't make it to the construction stage in any City.

Hamilton has a fair amount of tower proposals, an extended GO and is a good option for those wanting something a little cheaper than Toronto. I suspect that it will continue to accelerate and drive multi-fam while coming into its own.

Kelowna has something like 11 towers in the works and more forthcoming given its weather, proximity to Van-Cal-Edm and has solidified itself as a lifestyle community for many.

Hamilton has a fair amount of tower proposals, an extended GO and is a good option for those wanting something a little cheaper than Toronto. I suspect that it will continue to accelerate and drive multi-fam while coming into its own.

Kelowna has something like 11 towers in the works and more forthcoming given its weather, proximity to Van-Cal-Edm and has solidified itself as a lifestyle community for many.
Another city on the move is London. The consolidation of GO, VIA and their LRT and main bus station into a Central Station is already acting as a catalyst for development.

Back