News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Edmonton International Film Fest (EIFF) - Sept 22 - Oct 1, 2022

IanO

Member Bio
Reaction score
Screen Shot 2022-08-20 at 11.10.49 AM.png

Headed to EIFF last night with a buddy.

*and let me preface this with EIFF being one of my favourite festivals each year. I regularly attended multiple showings for years and went to a few events associated with it in the past.

This was one of the most embarrassing offerings in a while. It was a gorgeous Saturday night for people to have come Downtown for an early (or late dinner) and take in some of the festival.

We went to the international shorts (which were quite strong this year I must say).

1. There was almost no real evidence that a festival was taking place, let alone any atmosphere.

2. The one festival staff member at the desk was not selling tickets this year and so you had to buy them at the concession stand?!?!

3. Our screening had 6... SIX people in the theatre beside us... of which two of the six where the director and producer (who came from Finland for this showing) of one of the films. There was a scheduled Q&A post-film of which only two of us stayed for. The look on Finish folks faces was telling.

4. As the EIFF member came to the front to introduce them, he clearly had not prepared and so stumbled on both names and didn't professionally introduce them very well at all.

5. The EIFF sound guy ended up asking all of the questions to them and then we wrapped it very quickly as it made little sense to continue.

6. As we left the theatre there and proceeded into the lobby was no one to greet the Dir/Pro and so they walk out into a Barron space, on a Sat night, in a city of 1.5mil.

7. There was no indication of nay post-screening events or favourite event apres-ski and so we left disappointed.

Add in the ECC is basically closed and empty and the streets around it are in disarray and it was a pretty terrible experience... and that's really sad to see.

Are people that disinterested? Disengaged? Has the festival run its course?

Where were all of the film students, arts lovers, film-buffs?

Last edited:

Back