News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton International Airport (EIA/YEG)

AA flies only to its hubs from SEA, pretty much nobody books an itinerary onto AA with the first leg being YEG-SEA. It's not going to be cheaper.

Had no idea people were using Seattle to get to Florida. Nonetheless there are better times to get to Western US cities than the current Seattle connection IMO. I hope the Westjet-Delta offering takes off and becomes a mainstay. Maybe Alaska will go to 2X daily as a response?
It is somewhat surprising but has actually been going on for quite a while. Depending on the day, the way you book, or a multitude of other factors.... YEG-SEA-MCO may in fact be the cheapest way to get to Florida. I know that a lot of times YYC-SEA-xxx can very often be the cheapest way to get to places in the US Southwest as opposed to UA through DEN or DL through SLC.

Had no idea people were using Seattle to get to Florida. Nonetheless there are better times to get to Western US cities than the current Seattle connection IMO. I hope the Westjet-Delta offering takes off and becomes a mainstay. Maybe Alaska will go to 2X daily as a response?
Yup! Used to have really good connection times if you took the first AS flight out in the morning - an hour or two layover in Sea-Tac and we were in TPA or MCO by early dinner time. But with only 1 afternoon departure.......surprised they're not back to 3X daily

Yup! Used to have really good connection times if you took the first AS flight out in the morning - an hour or two layover in Sea-Tac and we were in TPA or MCO by early dinner time. But with only 1 afternoon departure.......surprised they're not back to 3X daily
Staffing continues to be an issue at a lot of US airlines and Alaska is really focusing on high-yield routes. They are dropping year-round service to Kelowna after about 25 years.

AA flies only to its hubs from SEA, pretty much nobody books an itinerary onto AA with the first leg being YEG-SEA. It's not going to be cheaper.

It is somewhat surprising but has actually been going on for quite a while. Depending on the day, the way you book, or a multitude of other factors.... YEG-SEA-MCO may in fact be the cheapest way to get to Florida. I know that a lot of times YYC-SEA-xxx can very often be the cheapest way to get to places in the US Southwest as opposed to UA through DEN or DL through SLC.

Why is Alaska cheaper than United? Is it just because of ridership to Den/SLC or is it considered a lower cost carrier than United/Delta?

It varies wildly and they often jockey back and forth. In a bunch of random dummy bookings I just did fro YEG to places like CLT, RDU, and Florida, AC was cheapest. But then to OKC, Alaska is cheapest through SEA.

Very nice quality video from Alex Praglowski Aviation doing some spotting at YEG recently.

Alex is a real pro. Incidentally, because of the runway and road configurations, he was telling me it's surprisingly hard to plane spot at YEG.

Canadian Air Service 1957

087.jpg

click the link for bigger. The blue line goes to Amsterdam.
(https://open.canada.ca/data/en/dataset/db2ceead-56d9-5258-8016-01c0141e41d4)

Last edited:
@ryanjespersen
Covered a lot in front of a packed house! Of note: Premier says trains from #yyc & #yeg airports to downtown is a top priority
Can’t they find something else to waste money on like I dunno maybe a hospital?

Back