News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Edmonton International Airport (EIA/YEG)

Brent Jensen 簡瑞昌
• 1st
International Business Developer
1h •
With Alexis von Hoensbroech and Myron Keehn at the WestJet announcement for the largest WestJet announcement in the Edmonton region in history. The announcement will include the addition of a crew base in Edmonton, creating 150 jobs in the region (50 pilots and 100 crew). WestJet will also add direct routes out of Edmonton International Airport (YEG) to 8 new direct flights: Nanaimo, Penticton, Ottawa, London, Moncton, Charlottetown, Seattle, and Minneapolis.

We look forward to growing further business, rooted by air service in the region and further connecting the Edmonton Region to the Edmonton.

Brent Jensen 簡瑞昌
• 1st
1h •
With Alexis von Hoensbroech and Myron Keehn at the WestJet announcement for the largest WestJet announcement in the Edmonton region in history. The announcement will include the addition of a crew base in Edmonton, creating 150 jobs in the region (50 pilots and 100 crew). WestJet will also add direct routes out of Edmonton International Airport (YEG) to 8 new direct flights: Nanaimo, Penticton, Ottawa, London, Moncton, Charlottetown, Seattle, and Minneapolis.

We look forward to growing further business, rooted by air service in the region and further connecting the Edmonton Region to the Edmonton.

Nanaimo, Penticton, Ottawa are not new - WS cancelled these before and now is reintroducing these.

Nanaimo, Penticton, Ottawa are not new - WS cancelled these before and now is reintroducing these.
I have no idea why you're arguing the semantics here man. They are routes that were not currently offered. New, re-instated, yada yada yada, who cares how it is worded? The flights have returned and that is what matters.

Brent Jensen 簡瑞昌
• 1st
1h •

I hope this lasts and WestJet has finally realized that trying to force people from a city of a similar size connect in Calgary to go to most places is really not a good business strategy.

I'm happy that Westjet is adding more flights to YEG. I would absolutely love if they added more direct flights from Edmonton to Europe.

Good to have those flights but I'm not confident WS will be providing anything internationally from here given this statement in 2022 when the provincial government struck a partnership with them.

"In order to further enhance its growth strategy, WestJet plans to make a significant investment in aircraft capacity, with more than C$7bn in Calgary alone for fleet commitments to be based within the province.

"WestJet also plans to develop Calgary International Airport (YYC) as its single global connecting hub.

In addition, it will focus on bringing in all intercontinental 787 Dreamliner flying in the region to facilitate new routes within North America to Europe and also with the potential to reach Asia."

Alberta Premier Jason Kenney said: “This is a blockbuster day for Alberta and a game-changer for our economy. Diversification and economic development are happening right here in Alberta.

“By choosing Calgary as its single global hub, locating its entire Dreamliner fleet here, and increasing its annual seat capacity by 80%, WestJet will massively improve global connectivity, tourism and options for passengers.”

But just like Trump keeps repeating lies until people believe them, I will echo Smith's statement again - Edmonton is a bit ahead of Calgary and she has plans to even things out.

I hope this lasts and WestJet has finally realized that trying to force people from a city of a similar size connect in Calgary to go to most places is really not a good business strategy.
My take is that they have come to realize if they want YEG and other western based pax to be somewhat loyal to them there has to be a certain level of offering available to them beyond the basics and everything else going through YYC. If they offer for example flights from YEG to a few of the DL hubs the flights have a good chance of success without stealing from what they need flowing through YYC. With people in YEG, YLW, YXE often utilizing WS they will then be ok with and select them to fly through YYC over to Europe or to fairly unique destinations (from a western Canadian perspective) such as Austin or Washington, DC for example. The second fact of the matter is they don't have much of a choice under the current strategy of drawing down the east while maintaining (or even increasing) the number of frames in their fleet they figured those should be spread out and as other western stations grow YYC can grow accordingly.

So looks like most of the Swoop routes are WestJet now. Wonder if Swoop will fly anywhere interesting next summer. Wonder also how Flair will respond.

Working beautifully so far.

With WestJet’s direct flights from Calgary to Amsterdam set to end on March 25, 2023, hopefully that bodes well for KLM'S few flights out of Edmonton.
WS has no summer slots for AMS and not enough frames to run it in the summer anyway. AMS will be back next winter.

WS has no summer slots for AMS and not enough frames to run it in the summer anyway. AMS will be back next winter.

Yep. And WestJet might not resume Calgary YYC -Amsterdam AMS next winter & leave it to KLM . As YYC -Paris CDG has a good chance at operating next winter season?

But will see, when it gets closer to next winter schedule announcements/ updates for WS.

Last edited:
I don't think so. WestJet is basically having daily fire sales for all of their euro routes out of YYC, for example. They can't be making money at these fares, especially that they have to fly into expensive US airports to collect passengers and expensive European airports to drop them off.

The Edmonton additions suggest recognition of market strength here, something many of us have been saying for years.

Back