News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton International Airport (EIA/YEG)

^^That would be fantastic but weird cause it seemed they left forever.

I don't know anything about what the airlines are thinking, but I would love Westjet to Gatwick 🤞

^^That would be fantastic but weird cause it seemed they left forever.

I don't know anything about what the airlines are thinking, but I would love Westjet to Gatwick 🤞
We really do not need AC or WS flying international flights out of YEG. They will only enter the market to drive out competition then resume normal service.

From what I saw this morning on Global, the announcement is that Porter will start Edmonton to Winnipeg, and in May Condor will start Edmonton to Frankfurt. I think that was the announcement if I remember correctly

From what I saw this morning on Global, the announcement is that Porter will start Edmonton to Winnipeg, and in May Condor will start Edmonton to Frankfurt. I think that was the announcement if I remember correctly
This would also be welcome news

I suspect there's more than just one new route planned, but the "biggie" is Icelandair

This would also be welcome news

I suspect there's more than just one new route planned, but the "biggie" is Icelandair
It’s not a biggie - and with Condor flying Icelandair May have even less traffic than before - unless seats are well priced. Of course Condor is seasonal but will Icelandair be year round?

It’s not a biggie - and with Condor flying Icelandair May have even less traffic than before - unless seats are well priced. Of course Condor is seasonal but will Icelandair be year round?
It seems like Icelandair and Condor do not have much overlap in terms of European destinations. For myself and others I know Icelandair is a great option due to shorter flight times (quick turnaround and good geographical location), lower flight prices (at least this seemed to be the case previously) and the option to do a stop over in Iceland.

It seems like Icelandair and Condor do not have much overlap in terms of European destinations. For myself and others I know Icelandair is a great option due to shorter flight times (quick turnaround and good geographical location), lower flight prices (at least this seemed to be the case previously) and the option to do a stop over in Iceland.
I think if this is true it actually is a big deal. This is not one of the Iceland discount airlines but rather IcelandAir itself. In years past this was also year round which would be significant. And it connects to a northern destination which fits in well with the gateway to the north positioning. Not to mention that when it operated in the past it drew customers from across Alberta to drive to YEG for the IcelandAir connection. It's very helpful to solidify YEG as an airport with lower fares/convenient connection options, something that has sometimes been lacking at YEG.

I think if this is true it actually is a big deal. This is not one of the Iceland discount airlines but rather IcelandAir itself. In years past this was also year round which would be significant. And it connects to a northern destination which fits in well with the gateway to the north positioning. Not to mention that when it operated in the past it drew customers from across Alberta to drive to YEG for the IcelandAir connection. It's very helpful to solidify YEG as an airport with lower fares/convenient connection options, something that has sometimes been lacking at YEG.
Take a look at Icelandair flight prices from Vancouver to any place in Europe. Someone mentioned low cost when they served Edmonton. That was then and this is now. Be interesting to see what the loads are after few months. Summer fares out of YVR are showing1900-2000 for cheapest tix. I have flown FI twice to Paris and London.

FI seems a bit odd given their oil exploration business model.

I've flown with them twice, both under $600 to Europe.

FI seems a bit odd given their oil exploration business model.

I've flown with them twice, both under $600 to Europe.
My tix as well were. But as you can see if you looked at prices from YVR or elsewhere in Canada, FI appear to have significantly increased their prices. I think it was 2 months back or so that someone posted KLM had offered a seat sale for return flights from AMS around 899? If FI put them on folks should jump fast to get a good deal.

Communal bag drop for domestic.
21C1C397-78C5-4066-BF82-290A2957E63A.jpeg

Numbers up to June have been released. Flair (and Swoop) continue to struggle. Here is June:

United Denver 93%
WestJet Los Angeles 87%
WestJet Las Vegas 86%
Air Canada San Francisco 78%
Alaska Seattle 75%
Swoop Las Vegas 62%
Flair San Francisco 49%
Swoop San Diego 47% (discontinued)
Swoop Mesa 45%
Flair Las Vegas 43%
Flair Burbank 36% (discontinued)
Flair Nashville 28%