News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Edmonton International Airport (EIA/YEG)

Air Canada to stop flying from Yellowknife to Edmonton and Calgary​

Air Canada Jazz's last remaining domestic Canadian service (at least for the time being) from Edmonton, the country's 5th most populous city and a large economic center will now only be Calgary...no more Ft. Mac, GP, Yellowknife (if it truly is seasonal), Regina, Saskatoon, Victoria, Kelowna, or Winnipeg. Just Calgary. Wow.

Whether this is seasonal or not, I just can't seem to imagine service from Air Canada in Edmonton can get any worse.

Getting anxious to hear word of who the new CEO will be. It was stated Tom Ruth would be leaving at the end of 2022 which is fast approaching.
I really really really hope it is someone who has the kahunas, connections, and relationships that can jump start this airport. I believe we need someone who can get back to the basics and refocus the airport on what it's core business is - transporting people - and focus much less on all the peripheral pet projects that have been the focus under his leadership.

I really really really hope it is someone who has the kahunas, connections, and relationships that can jump start this airport. I believe we need someone who can get back to the basics and refocus the airport on what it's core business is - transporting people - and focus much less on all the peripheral pet projects that have been the focus under his leadership.
I disagree - but I appreciate your perspective. YEG's ancillary revenue will be crucial for future air service growth. In terms of current air service, we are doing quite well in most markets with a few exceptions. Europe is now pretty well covered with two routes - both of those routes need time to mature, fill out, and boost frequencies. Canada is very well served, thanks to Flair and to a lesser extent, Swoop. We have service to more provinces than any airport other than Toronto. The major business markets all have frequent flights. USA is "ok" - expect it to get much better in the near term future with the restrictions easing. US vacation routes are very well served, but business routes are a point of weakness (a function of american carriers' pilot shortages). We do need more dedicated cargo routes but we've been seeing regular asian cargo charter for at least 2 years now, so that's good news. One risk of incentivising too many new routes is that you will cannibalize your existing routes. The new CEO needs to strategically focus on a few missing links, but needs to really continue the momentum on the cargo hub, ancillary development, because with the largest land mass of any airport in Canada, land development is YEG's secret weapon.

So what happened with Swoop to San Diego? Was that a fever dream I had and dreamt that it existed? Don’t tell we couldn’t support a 2X weekly service to the most coveted warm weather destination on the planet?

If you go to their website and look at their current network map, they have removed quite a bit of destinations from Edmonton . Off the top of my head, they included Los Angeles/Burbank, San Francisco, San Diego, Nashville, Comox, Kamloops, Kelowna, Comox, Saskatoon? Regina? Winnipeg and Cancun. They definitely scaled back Edmonton a lot. Maybe people are choosing Flair Instead as a lot of them were direct competition? Swoop just created those routes pretty much right after Flair announced theirs. Swoop also removed Chicago and New York from Toronto which was also going after Flair. I’d support Flair whenever possible.

Cargojet is also embarking on a major expansion, adding a significant amount of planes and doubling down on their overall operations.

Curious to see how this will impact their operations at YEG.

Great to see! Would love for Flair to build it's brand in Edmonton. Would be great if more people from Edmonton knew the airline was based here.
I wish Flair allowed in-cabin pets and in the hold - from Mexico. So many people in CUN, PVR want nonstops and its easier for their pets. Right now only WS and AC allow pets from Mexico in-cabin and the in the hold/luggage or cargo that is seasonally due to heat embargo. And going to Edmonton WS is only seasonal non-stop service which is unfortunate. They were flying once a week all year a while back but alas that ended. Of course there is a heat embargo for kennels in the hold from May through to October - but in-cabin is allowed. The work around for most people is to fly with their pets to MEX then fly Aeromexico or AC to YVR YYX YUL and then onward. During heat embargo only flights from MEX are exempted.

Back