News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Edmonton International Airport (EIA/YEG)

Bottom line Boeing have over one hundred Max planes China hasn’t taken delivery of so Boeing are going to resell them.

Neat graphic.
Airports.png

Last edited:
That's cool thanks for sharing. While it sort of reaffirms our airport is quite remote it's good to see we aren't totally alone in that. In fairness though some of those airports in the outer rings with YEG and beyond have airports in the region closer in.

Monthly passenger stats August 2022​

Terminal​

• Terminal Traffic: 597,942 passengers ( 3,361,028 Year-to-date)
  • Domestic 553,129 passengers (2,972,904 Year-to-date)
  • Transborder 33,315 passengers (236,336 year-to-date)
  • International 11,498 passengers (151,788 year-to-date)

YEG in the J.D. Power 2022 North America Airport Satisfaction Study scored 8 points under the average in its MEDIUM size by passenger traffic category. YYC scored 3 points less than the average in the LARGE size category.

It could be that few people completed a survey for YEG - how anyone would have known about it is a mystery and J.D. Powers do not provide its data or sources - so I question whether it is remotely accurate given we know passenger volumes but they do not tell us how many surveys were completed by travellers from Edmonton or how the results were informed. What is the percentage of surveys for "August 2021 through July 2022" period compared to passenger count in each airport listed. "The study is based on 26,529 completed surveys from U.S. or Canadian residents who travelled through at least one U.S. or Canadian airport during the past 30 days." For all we know it may be 10 responses for YEG.

If someone has a better take on the validity of the findings for YEG I would like to hear that.

When was the last time anybody flew in a DeHavillend?” Can anyone name a model? I can’t….so meh….Wheatland County can have it……sounds like those 1500 jobs are a stretch at best…..will only take 15 years…..haha!

Longview, who owns de Havilland, already has a large presence in Calgary so this is no surprise, really. I would, however, be curious how much money the county/province put on the table. Building a runway isn't cheap, let alone the rest of the infrastructure.

When was the last time anybody flew in a DeHavillend?” Can anyone name a model? I can’t….so meh….Wheatland County can have it……sounds like those 1500 jobs are a stretch at best…..will only take 15 years…..haha!
They bought the Dash-8 program from Bombardier in 2019 so they’d be producing the q400 which is very widely used. Not sure if there are many orders right now but it’s definitely a very common aircraft.

As part of this investment, de Havilland is hoping to restart production of the Q400 and the Twin Otter

It would be interesting to know whether Edmonton Global/EIA were in the hunt for this as well and how well we fared if we were (despite losing out).

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/de-havilland-airplane-manufacturing-calgary-1.6589863

It seems it would have been a pretty good "anchor" for Villeneuve and our diversification efforts.
Agree that it would have been a great fit for Villeneuve. I'm surprised this is a Greenfield development and not out at Springbank honestly.

If I remember correctly the CEO has ties to Calgary so I think it was always going to be in the Calgary area.

Dang.

You're late to the party.

As others have noted, some questions about viability of this company. I don't know if Calgary is a bit desperate for wins, but it looks that way. I also don't think that building another new airport is a win for YYC, it just disperses things further, similar to the former muni in Edmonton.

Calgary is not desperate for wins... but rather moving forward with dozens of diverse announcements.

It's disappointing that YYC didn't get the facility, but given the footprint it likely was unable to accommodate it.

Springbank would have had A LOT of upset acreage owners.

A new airliner "Jetlines" has begun service and operating between Toronto and Calgary for now. Pricing is really low but they only have one plane. They have plans to expand but who knows if that is true.

Back