News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Edmonton International Airport (EIA/YEG)

Curious to see what/when for YEG (and YYC) for that matter.
---

Porter Airlines Inc.
33,245 followers
4h • 4 hours ago
Follow

What’s better than 80 new aircraft

Porter is excited to bring even more passengers to new destinations across North America with the confirmation of 20 firm orders of Embraer E195-E2 jets. This is in addition to the existing 30 firm orders we made in 2021, bringing the total number up to 100 aircraft: 50 firm commitments and 50 purchase rights.

The first delivery and entry into service out of Toronto Pearson is scheduled for later this year. More details to come.

Screen Shot 2022-07-19 at 10.49.11 AM.png

With 50-100 new aircraft to deploy, I would think Porter would serve all the major routes from YEG. Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, Ottawa, Halifax, Winnipeg at a minimum. I suspect they'll attempt one or two US routes over time, if YEG supports these strongly, potential for growth. I know it's crowded already but I would suggest YEG-california (SFO or LAX) would be something they will try. Would like to see them try IAH, PDX, ORD, new York. The aircraft they have on order is fantastic size for Edmonton because it makes a lot of destinations viable at daily service frequency.

Would be really interesting to watch scheduling and whether they create a hub operation in the west.

I could see them choosing YVR or YWG or both to create a nationwide network, but given their target market YYC makes the most sense.

I don't think a YYC hub would be successful for them - simply too much competition already there. Not a lot of new entrants have been successful in Calgary recently, primarily because of WestJet taking a really aggressive posture towards competition there.

777 Partners orders 66 Boeing 737 Max's and some will be going to Flair. I wonder how many are actually going to Flair as that was one of the major concerns with Canadian Transportation Agency. Nonetheless, they seem to be on target with acheiving their "F50" goal, having 50 planes by 2025. They should have 30 by the end of 2023, so about 10 a year.

Great news as an Edmonton HQ airline but at the same time, how are they doing this? is it even sustainable. Hope they are succesful!

777 Partners orders 66 Boeing 737 Max's and some will be going to Flair. I wonder how many are actually going to Flair as that was one of the major concerns with Canadian Transportation Agency. Nonetheless, they seem to be on target with acheiving their "F50" goal, having 50 planes by 2025. They should have 30 by the end of 2023, so about 10 a year.

Great news as an Edmonton HQ airline but at the same time, how are they doing this? is it even sustainable. Hope they are succesful!

Most of Flair's flights have been booked completely full over past several months, so I think Flair has found a niche and is filling a market need. 50 aircraft should mean a number of interesting new routes out of YEG (and other places) plus more flights on the core Canadian routes.

Anyone know what exactly is being proposed to occur? Just land development for logistics operations? They mention multimodal, are they bringing trains over somehow?
I'd really love for them to bring a rail connection to the airport. Not only is it great for freight services but it opens a potential route for an airport express passenger route.

Anyone know what exactly is being proposed to occur? Just land development for logistics operations? They mention multimodal, are they bringing trains over somehow?
How incredibly vague from both the government and the airport. What is this expansion? I doubt just land development because if its $100MM thats a whole lot more than I would expect for only developing land. But the info graph says $300MM. What are the details? What are the timelines? Is this separate from the cargo expansion announced last year https://majorprojects.alberta.ca/details/Edmonton-International-Airport-Cargo-Expansion/4354 ?

So many questions so few details.

It's all laid out here. What, were you expecting a new highrise tower at EIA or something? :rolleyes:

Today, the Minister of Transport, the Honourable Omar Alghabra, announced up to $100 million in funding under the National Trade Corridors Fund to increase cargo and logistics handling operations at the Edmonton International Airport.

The project will convert approximately 2,000 acres of land into a new global cargo handling operation. With this investment, the Edmonton International Airport will expand its multi-modal distribution throughout Canada, the United States of America, and Mexico. The airport’s increased cargo capacity will improve the movement of import and export trade routes and strengthen Canada’s supply chain.

Wow! Amazing news!

YEG is very well positioned for cargo operations, this should be a major boost for Edmonton region. Direct flights to 5-6 continents, can we make it happen?

Yeesh thanks, Captain obvious. You're more of a big shiny things guy and not a details guy hey?

I'll give you a gold star sticker to take home to your mom if you can tell me what that $100MM is going towards in detail that may be useful to all those interested on this forum and any other kind of info like time lines or partners or expansion tonnage metrics or how its different than the previously announced cargo expansion. Or is it $300MM? The info graphic and news release say two different numbers.
Not sure why the attitude?

Likely $100mil leverages other sources of funding so $300m might be the total project. I am sure details will be made available once construction plans are finalized.

Back