News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton International Airport (EIA/YEG)

Westjet is going all-in on the leisure market by buying Sunwing:

News release

Westjet maintains its headquarters in Calgary, while the Sunwing will remain in Toronto (with a regional office in Laval).

An interesting note from the release:

The WestJet Group of companies will expand to include Sunwing Airlines. This will add increased capacity, dedicating otherwise seasonal aircraft to operate year-round in Canada, instead of Sunwing supplementing seasonal demand with imported aircraft, which translates into more jobs for Canadians. This acquisition will improve the WestJet Group's ability to offer more affordable fares by immediately expanding its low-cost footprint in Canada.

This article points to a future that we were trying to get across to the former mayor and council when we were talking about repurposing the Coliseum site as a VTOL Hub and a major transit hub with LRT, buses, and other ground formats. It could work in conjunction with EIA and airports at smaller centres across central and northern Alberta -- feeding into business aviation, pleasure craft and tourism (the possibility of opening and advancing countless tourism locations would lift the entire Alberta economy in that sector). I could see VTOL hubs (primary destination) at Coliseum, EIA, Red Deer, Grande Prairie, Ft. McMurray, and Jasper, with minor hubs at Cold Lake, Lloydminster, Camrose and other similar-sized locales plus tourist destination sites at many of Alberta's lakes and geographical wonders.
Westjet is going all-in on the leisure market by buying Sunwing:

News release

Westjet maintains its headquarters in Calgary, while the Sunwing will remain in Toronto (with a regional office in Laval).

An interesting note from the release:

Current fleet. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunwing_Airlines#Current_fleet

The Sunwing Airlines fleet consists of the following aircraft as of April 4, 2021:[3][20]

Sunwing Airlines fleet
Total271
AircraftIn
service
OrdersPassengersNotes
Boeing 737-80021118912 wet leased from TUI Airways
Boeing 737 MAX 86189

Former fleet​

Sunwing Airlines former fleet
AircraftTotalIntroducedRetiredNotes
Boeing 767-300ER220112012Leased from EuroAtlantic Airways

Province is helping Red Deer airport expand to accommodate low cost carriers.

This will be a challenge for both YYC and YEG, as some traffic could get siphoned off, but I would say it is a much bigger threat to YYC than YEG given Red Deer Airport's location south of Red Deer.
It might pose a challenge for YEG, but I think it'll help us in the long run. Let's be real, Edmonton is a bit of an "island" right now in terms of political culture (but Calgary is pretty progressive in a lot of ways as well). Red Deer is one of the province's largest cities, but many people there have... a pretty regressive mindset (I have a left-leaning friend with a number of medical conditions who lives there, and she has a loooot of stories). Between Red Deer Poly beginning to offer undergraduate degrees (see also Grand Prairie Regional College/Northwestern Poly), and the airport gearing up for more passenger and cargo services, Red Deer is laying the groundwork to become a more urban centre like Edmonton, Calgary, and Lethbridge.

The more urbanized our cities become, the more our views will be reflected in the provincial government, and the better a deal Edmonton will get. If Edmonton got all the airport investments, all the tech companies, etc., it might look good for us on paper, but then the rest of the province would remain rooted in the same industries and patterns that they have been for decades past; and Edmonton would continue to be the odd one out in provincial politics. I want Red Deer and Calgary to get this stuff too, even if it costs Edmonton some jobs and investment, because I think the benefits of having a more urban and econimcially diversified province outweigh the opportunity costs we incur.

It might pose a challenge for YEG, but I think it'll help us in the long run. Let's be real, Edmonton is a bit of an "island" right now in terms of political culture (but Calgary is pretty progressive in a lot of ways as well). Red Deer is one of the province's largest cities, but many people there have... a pretty regressive mindset (I have a left-leaning friend with a number of medical conditions who lives there, and she has a loooot of stories). Between Red Deer Poly beginning to offer undergraduate degrees (see also Grand Prairie Regional College/Northwestern Poly), and the airport gearing up for more passenger and cargo services, Red Deer is laying the groundwork to become a more urban centre like Edmonton, Calgary, and Lethbridge.

The more urbanized our cities become, the more our views will be reflected in the provincial government, and the better a deal Edmonton will get. If Edmonton got all the airport investments, all the tech companies, etc., it might look good for us on paper, but then the rest of the province would remain rooted in the same industries and patterns that they have been for decades past; and Edmonton would continue to be the odd one out in provincial politics. I want Red Deer and Calgary to get this stuff too, even if it costs Edmonton some jobs and investment, because I think the benefits of having a more urban and econimcially diversified province outweigh the opportunity costs we incur.
Red Deer Airport is not owned by the Government of Canada unlike Edmonton and Calgary International Airports. Red Deers airport: "The Red Deer Regional Airport Authority assumed ownership from the Province of Alberta and operation of the airport from The City of Red Deer on September 1, 1999 and the City of Red Deer and Red Deer County became key stakeholders." It falls under the Alberta Regional Airports Authority Act. Unlike YYC and YEG, Red Deer Airport does not pay lease moneys to the Federal Government every year as the land was gifted from the Province. That is a tremendous benefit that YEG and YYC do not have and likely will result in lower costs for airlines using that airport. https://www.flyreddeer.ca/about-yqf/yqf-history/

Yay for WestJet, yay for YYC...
https://edmontonjournal.com/business...a-9dcff7aef3a7
Not a single YEG - Europe flight planned or to be launched by WestJet
frown.gif
:(

Post a news article about YYC flights to Europe on SRC and nobody bats an eye.
Post the same news article about YYC flights to Europe on SSP and the sky starts falling.
How typical! 🤣

Post a news article about YYC flights to Europe on SRC and nobody bats an eye.
Post the same news article about YYC flights to Europe on SSP and the sky starts falling.
How typical! 🤣
It still pisses me off that we barely get anything to Europe or the East Coast, but cursing in a forum won't get me anywhere

Its like some people still think WestJet is Edmonton's hometown airline. They aren't and never really were. We do have our own hometown airline now. Some people only want to complain.
Maybe of we fly Flair enough, they'll move up from being an ULCC one day, and actually start flying long-haul flights to prime destinations.

I believe that's the trajectory WestJet took.
Exactly my point. And now they're Canada's second largest airline.
We fly Flair whenever we can at home, so does my company (provided that sometimes schedules don't work for corporate trips, and I miss having executive seats sometimes when I'm too tired).
Hopefully in a few years, if more people do this and support it, we'll have a legacy carrier based here.

Exactly my point. And now they're Canada's second largest airline.
We fly Flair whenever we can at home, so does my company (provided that sometimes schedules don't work for corporate trips, and I miss having executive seats sometimes when I'm too tired).
Hopefully in a few years, if more people do this and support it, we'll have a legacy carrier based here.
Hopefully we all see the day when Flair grows enough to inherit the legacy of Wardair.

Back