News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Edmonton International Airport (EIA/YEG)

With Westjet announcing they are consolidating or cancelling 20% of their flights in Feb, I wonder what airports and markets are seeing those cuts.

Westjet only says customers will be notified and that it is mostly affecting quieter markets.

Since Jan. 1, WestJet has cancelled 1,211 flights, including 128 on Monday.

With Westjet announcing they are consolidating or cancelling 20% of their flights in Feb, I wonder what airports and markets are seeing those cuts.

Westjet only says customers will be notified and that it is mostly affecting quieter markets.

Since Jan. 1, WestJet has cancelled 1,211 flights, including 128 on Monday.
YYC will likely have the most cuts given that they are WestJet's main hub.

It's a much nicer airport, more manageable, has the best tiki bar out there and has a lot of connection options in the US and a few international.

Again, ORD first, but MSP is a solid connector for most of the US.

I would rather have KLM focused on our nonstop YEG-AMS than end up being a feeder for Delta at MSP to AMS.

I'm not worried about that flight with MSP being added for it would primarily permit us to connect to Chicago, NYC, DC, Boston and Florida.

I would rather have non-stop flights from EIA to all of MSP, Chicago, NYC, Boston and Florida. I know I know, pipe dream and all that...

Sure, point being MSP is a very quick/easy connection for most of those and beyond!

Last edited:
Today at YEG

Here is how another airport is incentivizing airlines for flights.

"New incentives for airlines at Zagreb Airport

Zagreb Airport (ZAG) is hoping to build on its past successes by launching yet another program of incentives with which it hopes to counter relatively negative performance trends in passenger numbers both during the pandemic and before the pandemic.

Last year, Zagreb Airport offered a discount on the Passenger Service Charge of as much as 80% for each passenger carried on a route that was launched in 2021 and not operated in 2019 or 2020. This discount had a five-year horizon and it required that 20% of the passenger traffic takes place in the winter schedule." ...

Eight Models of incentives

The eight incentive Models all kicked in on 1st January 2022. Airlines need to apply with just 30 days’ notice at any point in time. The Models are as follows:

1. Year-round new destinations

• For routes that operate at least twice weekly for 12 months on an uninterrupted basis.
  • To qualify as “new”, the route must not have been operated in the 12 months prior.
With this Model, airlines receive a Landing Fee discount of 100% in the first year, 50% in the second, and 25% in the third.

The Passenger Service Charge discount is 40% in the first year, 20% in the second, and 10% in the third.

2. Year-round frequency increases on existing routes

• For routes that operate at least twice weekly.
  • After the frequency upgrade, the route must operate for 12 months on an uninterrupted basis.
  • The incentives are only applied to the incremental flights, so only for the frequencies that were not previously operated.
With this Model, airlines receive a Landing Fee discount of 50% in the first year and 25% in the second.

The Passenger Service Charge discount is 10% in the first year and 5% in the second.

3. Seasonal new destinations

• For routes that will see 36 non-stop rotations in any six-month period.
  • To qualify as “new”, the route must not have been operated in the 12 months prior.
With this Model, airlines receive a Landing Fee discount of 100% in the first year. No further discounts are available.

4. New charter destinations

• For charter offerings that will see 13 non-stop rotations in any three-month period.
With this Model, airlines receive a Landing Fee discount of 50% in the first year. No further discounts are available.

5. Incentives for seasonal routes becoming year-round

• For routes that operate at least twice weekly.
  • After the upgrade from seasonal, the route must operate for 12 months on an uninterrupted basis.
  • The incentives are only applied to the incremental flights, so only for the season that was not previously operated.
With this Model, airlines receive a Landing Fee discount of 100% and a Passenger Service Charge discount of 10%, both in the first twelve months only.

Ryanair is expected to jump on this opportunity and add even more flights to Zagreb.

6. Supplement for long-haul routes

Airlines that operate flights that last longer than seven hours can benefit from Models 1-5 as well as this additional Model 6.

The Model is a Passenger Service charge discount of 30% valid for as long as the Model 1-5 period is valid.

7. Supplement for based aircraft

Airlines that have an aircraft based in Zagreb Airport and which benefit from any of the Models 1-5 can also benefit from Model 7 if one of the following applies for their based aircraft:
  • At least 300 rotations in any six-month period
  • At least 500 rotations in any 12-month period
  • At least ten scheduled overnight rotations in any given week
The Model is a Terminal Fee discount of 100% and a Ramp Fee discount of 100% for the same duration as their Model 1-5 discount.

This is the most significant discount as it is the only 100% discount that does not decrease over time.

8. Parking fee discounts for based aircraft

Lastly, all airlines that pay a Parking Fee to Zagreb Airport are also eligible for a 25% discount on this fee too.

The requirement is for the aircraft subject to the parking service to meet the same criteria as for Model 7. The aircraft must operate one of the following:

• At least 300 rotations in any six-month period
  • At least 500 rotations in any twelve-month period
  • At least ten scheduled overnight rotations in any given week
Most interestingly, this incentive is a permanent discount with no time period attached to it.

Also, unlike Models 1-7, Model 8 is credited immediately. With Models 1-7, the 12-month period has to pass in full before Zagreb Airport issues the qualifying airlines with a credit note to honour the incentive.

Article continues in the weblink:
https://simpleflying.com/zagreb-airp...ntive-program/

Us Croatians doing things right again I see! :cool:🇭🇷🍻

In all serious, a pretty great example of how an airport smaller than YEG that serves a slightly smaller city can boost itself with these kind of programs. Not a perfect comparison (Europe and all) but some these things could definitely work here.

I'm not worried about that flight with MSP being added for it would primarily permit us to connect to Chicago, NYC, DC, Boston and Florida.
Sure, point being MSP is a very quick/easy connection for most of those and beyond!
When I went there years ago, I thought it was a fairly nice airport. Time wise, it broke up the flight to NYC nicely too, so probably similar for other US east coast destinations..

It is also very good to clear customs in Edmonton and not have to worry about it elsewhere.

Government of Canada to announce new funding to support the Edmonton International Airport​

Anyone have any insights into what this might be? Canada's largest airport AI hydrogen powered autonomous drone delivery pilot program facility lol?

Back