News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Edmonton International Airport (EIA/YEG)

Curious to see if and when Porter enters the YEG-YYC-YVR triangle and or other flights.

zsTpJBx.jpg

Or how about YEG-MSP-YYZ or YEG-ORD-YUL:)
Flights that would be mostly useless for the vast majority of non-canadian citizens (which is a large chunk of the population). Getting a US Visa is a gigantic pain in the buttocks and expensive.
Fine if your Australian, European or Canadian, but apart from that, very few nationalities (and none of the main immigrant communities in Canada: India, China, Middle East and Latin America) have visa exemption to travel through the US.

Why would anyone want to go to to a US airport to go to YUL or YYZ? Yes we will have pre-clearance here - but seriously for most people that would be a hassle.
ORD would be nice as a destination, but I would like to see at least one weekly flight to somewhere in the East Coast (NYC, Boston or DC). I'm sure there's a market here for the NE corridor that would warrant one or two flights a week to any of these cities.

As a Mizzou student, I would personally love a flight to ORD that would make my life THAT much easier, but I'm not sure there's a market for the flight.

Flights that would be mostly useless for the vast majority of non-canadian citizens (which is a large chunk of the population). Getting a US Visa is a gigantic pain in the buttocks and expensive.
Fine if your Australian, European or Canadian, but apart from that, very few nationalities (and none of the main immigrant communities in Canada: India, China, Middle East and Latin America) have visa exemption to travel through the US.
As in replacing certain flights as one-way versus connection on a very competitive YYZ-YEG mainline.

Great! Now, where should the flight opportunities fund be spent?

I think it needs to be spent on routes that are a "stretch" for each particular airline. I think it can be assumed that the trunk routes will return on their own accord.

How about Flair to LIH, Westjet to PDX, Air Canada or United to EWR and AA to Dallas; Internationally I think we need to see NRT - that should be the main focus, and LHR. Europe will rebound with KLM and likely a charter carrier to FRA.

Charter to FRA would be fantastic, as would charters to Gatwick.

ORD, EWR, MSP, IAH please and thank you.

Charter to FRA would be fantastic, as would charters to Gatwick.

ORD, EWR, MSP, IAH please and thank you.

Basically all the key routes that a metro of 1.4MM+ (and catchment area much larger) serving 8.2MM (pre-pandemic) passengers had before...YEG management really needs to step up its game. Hire an external consultant like BCG or something to figure out a strategy to reverse the service decline of the Leduc regional airport.

MSP is a key transfer point for Northwest/Delta.
Without MSP, Chicago or EWR, there is no E-W US to East Coast or Europe connection. That leaves YYZ or (shudders) YYC. MSP is an important one that needs to come back...mind you they are all important in one way or another and need to come back.

Back